Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, March 16, 2009

A "Princess" in New York!

Exciting news! I got this message from my pal Laura Frye in New York:
Hyperion Theatre Project and Gotham Comedy Club presents: Jon Joy's The Princess of Rome, Ohio

Starring: Laura Frye, Raven Peters, Aaron White, Laura Montes, Ann Marie Siegwarth, John Sundham and Lenny Banovez.

For those who know the "I killed him" monologue, this is the show!

Hope to see you there!
Jon Joy, of course, is a writer here in Huntington. I asked him about the show and he wrote:
My full length comedy The Princess of Rome, Ohio will be presented at the Gotham Comedy Club in New York City this week. I wrote the play as a part of my thesis for my Master's degree at Marshall in 2004.

I premiered it at the Huntington Museum of Art (and the Columbus Fringe Festival in Columbus, OH) in May 2005. Laura Frye, an original cast member and fellow MU Theatre alum, is heading up the current NYC premiere. The play will be presented March 16 and 17.

"Princess" has always been one of my favorites. We had a great ensemble cast for the original production and it was a lot of fun. I'm glad to see Laura breathing new life into it.

And she's not the only Marshall Theatre grad that's involved. The NYC premiere will feature two original cast members from that Huntington show four years ago. Laura will play the role of Lulu and Raven Peters, also a graduate of MU Theatre, returns as her ex-husband, Bud. They were both excellent in the original production and it sounds like they've rounded up a great cast for this show.

Part of the proceeds in New York will go to benefit people here in the Tri-State. A portion of the ticket money will go to the Stella Fuller Settlement House in Huntington, WV. Stella Fuller is a wonderful organization that provides food, clothing, toys and help with bills for low income families in the Tri-State area.

No comments: