Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Another Review of "Rent"

I received this review of the Charleston Light Opera Guild's performance of Rent while I was out of town, so apologies to my pal Zach Davis for running so late getting it posted here.

Here's his review:
RENT!!! First off I want to say that many people know that I am very critical of productions and I report every flaw I see, but last night for the first time I found myself speechless.

Rent was by far the best community show I have seen in years - in fact, it was more like a Broadway touring show. The cast was just wonderful. I must admit that I am not the emotional type, but I during the show I got chills, goosebumps and even teared up a few times.

The whole cast was amazing but I would like to pinpoint a few. Ryan Hardiman, who played Roger delivered a spot-on performance (as always). You really felt heartbroken for him.

Beth, who portrayed Mimi was extremely seductive and marvelous. She owned that character.

Mara, who played Maureen, was hysterical and had the whole audience captivated and at one point had everyone mooing.

Kris Corbett also had some very powerful solos that really fell heavy on the hearts of everyone.

In my opinion, the two who truely stole the show were the power couple of Nathan, who played Angel, and Michael, who played Tom. Nathan really found his role. The way he moved and sang was remarkable. I would have broken both ankles. Then what a voice Michael had. He sounded just as good if not better than the original Tom on Broadway. When he sang the reprise at Angel's funeral I guarantee that there wasn't a single dry eye in that building. The whole cast was great. So many awesome solos.

The set was perfect with the bare stage look and then at the end the projections on the wall. Just amazing. Now I will say my only complaint was that the costumes were not original, but that's okay - they were perfect but would have liked to have seen a little more personal touch on them. The lighting looked super professional. The sound I have to pick at - the orchestra mics were a little too heavy and a few of the cast mics were hot and some feedback came through - but that's normal. Heck the Tonys had mic troubles, so no biggie.

I have to say that every time I make the journey to Charleston I am never disappointed and always have a wonderful time. I enjoyed the show and seeing all the theatre community coming out to support the wonderful production.

I saw this blog's two-time Tony Picking champ... who when hugged me and boasted, "I beat you I beat you at picking the Tonys!" I am just glad Denise doesn't like to brag and rub things in to the losers. Hahaha.

Anyway if you didn't get to see Rent, I am sorry you missed a remarkable show. On my scale of 1-5 stars it gets 10!

No comments: