Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Man of La Mancha" - A Review

Somehow I got through the Kanawha County school system and earned a Journalism Major and an English Minor at Marshall University without being assigned to read Cervantes' classic novel Don Quixote.

It's an oversight I've been trying to correct in recent weeks, as I finally got started on the copy of the novel I bought back in 1978.

It's been about the same length of time since the musical based on that book was last staged in Huntington, though sadly I missed that production.

Finally, I've made up for my missed opportunities by attending Saturday night's staging of Man of La Mancha by the 5th Avenue Theatre Company.

The flu kept me away last weekend, and I was certain that I was missing a great show, because everyone's been raving to me about how good the production is - and quite a few people have attended more than once - another sure sign of a terrific show.

And guess what? It is a great show! Presented as a "play-within-a-play," it begins with the incarceration of Cervantes as he prepares to face the Spanish Inquisition. His fellow prisoners threaten the destruction of his not-yet-completed manuscript of Don Quixote, and in an attempt to save his work, he offers to present the story to them and let them judge for themselves.

He tells the story of an old man who is so caught up with the story of knights and their heroic exploits that he decides to become one himself, and he recruits a servant, the endearing (if bumbling) Sancho Panza as his squire.

Despite his madness, wherein inns become castles, innkeepers become kings and whores become ladies of the court, Quixote sees the good in all and fights for a higher purpose - and his example changes the lives of those around him.

The secret to staging an outstanding show is to have a great cast, and here we have some of the area's top performers. The amazing Ryan Hardiman tackles both Cervantes and Don Quixote, and this gives him a chance to play a wide range of emotions - from the fearful Cervantes, faced with a terrible fate, to the aged by forceful Quixote, fighting against impossible odds, declaring his pure love for an unlikely woman, and facing his own infirmity. Ryan hits this one out of the park - and do I even have to mention his powerful singing on several classic songs?

Playing the gritty barmaid Aldonza is Marina Jurica, and it's difficult to imagine a more physically demanding or emotionally devastating role for any female actor. Her singing is terrific and her acting is phenomenal!

Sancho Panza is played by Mike Murdock, who absolutely kills in the role. His comic timing is right on the money, his songs are fantastic and he darn near steals every scene he's in.

Any director with a lick of sense should be begging these three actors to be in every show they stage.

Not to take away from the other dozen members of the cast - they all turn in outstanding work, and each one plays multiple roles. Kudos to: Jane Morse, Todd Preston, Nancy Jackson, Loretta Hetzer, Dave Benton, Kyle Fisher, Chloe Hardiman, Andrew Surber, Ron Short, Josh Taylor, Desiree Sowards and Ralph Pack.

I have to give a special shout-out to my pal Mike Campbell, the music director, who managed to take an electronic keyboard and make it sound like a full orchestra - an amazing accomplishment, with an assist from musician Mike Harbour!

Congratulations to the directing team on an amazing job, including director Eddie Harbert, producer Maxine Loudermilk, assistant director Merlyn Marten, choreographer Kerri Easter and everyone else involved.

It's a wonderful, moving show filled with memorable songs and an inspirational story - no wonder it's a classic.

Don't make the mistake I made all those years ago - you don't want too have to wait 30 years to see this one on stage!

You have one more chance Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. to catch this show at the Huntington City Hall auditorium - miss it not!

8 comments:

W.C.D. said...

I too saw the show recently and will say it was decent. Had some amazing talent in it. Ryan Hardiman has proven he has the talent but this show lets him show it off. Mike murdock was a joy to watch and laugh with and aldonza was good. I will say she has a classical voice . A few others stuck out to me though just as strong as those three. The bad guys Dave Benton and Josh Taylor made you want to watch their every movement. the other guy seemed distracting and disconnected from his bad gang buddies. Maybe just his inexperience. The lady playing the Gov was a hoot. Jane is so funny. I love her as Bitsy at her church and she can play a mans role with ease. I had a lovely time this weekend attending his production.

Zach Davis said...

I also saw the show Saturday night along with Mr. Minsker. I was a little busy their opening weekend and could;t get to see their show but I am glad I had the chance this weekend. First off the costumes were great. Just very visual and complimentary to the actors. The lighting was a little funky in my opinion however after performing on that stage recently I know that their is very little to work with therefore making t hard. Now as for the sound. The sound has always been a problem for many area shows and that venue is notorious for poor sound. It to me ruined the show some. It was very heartbreaking to be enjoying the scene or song and then loose half of it in the middle.
Now on to the acting. First off Ryan proved he is Don Q. He really just owned that role. Mike Murdock you sly comedic fellow. He to me played the best role in the show. Maurina did a good job capturing the emotions of the show. I must say when it comes to emotions in a show it drains you. Recent personal experience from my last show so good for you Maurina!. I also will saw I loved the dancing styles of Desiree Sowards. A few chorus members stuck out to me First off Jane was a riot to see along with my pals Dave and Josh. They did and excellent job. They both had good comical moments and had a few times some scene stealing moments. OH, I almost forgot to saw I thought Todd did a great job with that set. It was massive and great spectacle to see. Good Job everyone. PS...Mad props to the new stage manager Cynthia and to madman Mike on the piano!!!

Anonymous said...

I must also agree with Zach except Andrew Surber as the horse cracked me up! Good for you Andrew!

Anonymous said...

and w.C.D. that's not nice.

Anonymous said...

I know I've commented three times now, but seriously W.C.D? Inexperiance? I think you need to keep such rude 'opinions' like that to yourself.

W.C.D. said...

Honesty is not considered rude. I wasn't saying anything to upset anyone I was simply stating compared to the others you can tell he was new to community theatre. It showed. Thats not a bad thing. I state the truth so people can take and learn from it. In the theatre and entertainment business one must be able to handle constructive criticism. If what I say came across offensive I do apologize however it may have been just an off night. Everyone has those days. If people can not handle opinions or the truth when it comes to Theatre then they do not belong in the industry. I have my degree from the college of William and Mary in the Arts. I have directed many performances in my younger days therefore I do have the back ground and knowledge to defend my statement!

Sanctuary said...

Thanks, Chuck...for being there and for your review. It's always great to get feedback. Thanks also to W.C.D and Zach. I'm glad we have a forum like this to discuss our opinions (and those opinions don't always have to be 100% positive...they can't be if we're being honest...that's how we all learn and grow and get better)

Chuck Minsker said...

Thanks, Ryan! Constructive criticism certainly has its place and is often hard to come by. It's the nature of a live production that there's always room for improvement, and that's where criticism can help.

But frankly, other than a few minor technical problems (those are almost inevitable in any live stage show), I thought "La Mancha" was fantastic. A show to be proud of!