Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Comments About "Spelling Bee" and "Hoods"

I've been neglecting my duties at this blog - I've been so busy, I haven't had time to take in the other shows running this weekend. (Sorry about that!)

I've mentioned James and the Giant Peach several times (a wonderful show for all ages), but I've neglected The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and Hoods.

Luckily, my pals Stephen Vance and Mel Larch were able to send along their comments, for which we're grateful. Here's what they had to say:

Stephen on "Spelling Bee" -
I was able to see the Sunday matinee (of "Putnam County Spelling Bee") and I had a great time and so did everyone in the audience. The venue is set up for dinner (but that's not required).

I really like the show and thought it was a great choice for this size venue and environment. It's a fun show with some very sweet moments. This cast is superbly talented and I liked the work I saw. From the very over-the-top moments to the very real moments, there was a great finesse by this ensemble. I love when a cast knows how to connect with an audience.

Congratulations to the Pullman crew for a job well done.


Here's Mel on Hoods -
I did get to see CYAC's Hoods last Saturday. It's a very powerful and ultimately moving story about race relations in late '50s rural Appalachia. Dan Kehde has assembled an amazing cast of young actors.

The sad thing is that the first weekend's audiences averaged about 20 people a night. Even though you won't leave it humming a happy tune, it's a great show that deserves bigger crowds than that.

I hope you and your readers can come out for one of the last three performances this week (8:00 p.m. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at the Capitol Center Theatre in Charleston).
Thanks, Mel and Stephen! I've heard nothing but great things about both shows, so readers, I urge you to check 'em out and support your community theatre!

No comments: