Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Zach Talks About "Steel Magnolias"

The director of Steel Magnolias is my pal Zach Davis, and he joins us now for a short e-interview about the show, which takes the stage at City Hall this weekend.

Q: This is your first time directing a show - has it been fun?


A: As a first-time director I will say it has been a joy and pleasure. I mean, I did have several obstacles to overcome that not every new director encounters. Such as directing the show from the hospital because our son wanted to enter this world six weeks earlier. However, I wouldn't have it any other way. I want to direct more... Children's theatre would be fun! (Hint there Chuck.)

Q: What is Steel Magnolias about?

A: Well if someone doesn't know what it's about I would be shocked, but it's a dramatic comedy based on six women's lives who get their hair done at Truvy's hair salon. We learn about the character's lives and struggles as they gossip while getting beautiful. I'd rather not go into great detail in hopes to attract viewers to want to really see what will happen.

Q: Why did you want to tackle Steel Magnolias?


A: When I was asked to propose a show to direct I had no clue what to choose because there are so many wonderful plays out there. However, after thinking I went with Steel Magnolias for several reasons. First it has a following from the movie with the same title and attracts people - particularly women. Secondly, the script has everything from laughter to tears. Simply just a beautiful piece to showcase and I wanted something with a small cast so I wouldn't be overwhelmed for my first show. This play offers such a diversity of everything and was just a perfect match with me I felt.

Q: Tell us about the cast of the show...

A: I know all directors claim they have the best cast, but I am sorry, they can't compare to the team of talented and strength of my women. The show calls for six ladies and I cast one extra to be my live radio DJ. These women are these characters in real life. I feel like I am watching an episode of The Golden Girls! They have been dynamic with one another and supportive to me and Allison in our time of need with our son. My crew has been there every step as well and just as supportive. I couldn't ask for better people. It's funny, I have seven females in the cast. The tech crew is also made entirely of women as well. So they all tag team against me but that's expected! I love them and thank them from my heart!

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

A: I encourage people to come to this show simply because it's a tremendously moving piece that connects with audiences. It has everything that a show could need and more. I believe that Steel Magnolias is one that doesn't need song and dance to entertain and offers something different to the Tri-State area. A change of pace can be nice and I promise no one will leave disappointed and without feeling like they are part of the gang in the hair salon.

Q: When and where is the show and how much are tickets?


A: The show will be going for two weekends: Sept. 17-19 and Sept. 24-26. Friday and Saturday shows start at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are only $10 for adults and $8 for children under 12. I hope to see everyone at the show!

No comments: