Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

"Into the Woods" - Meet the Cast (#2)

   We’re just a day away from the premiere of the ARTS production of the musical Into the Woods, so let’s continue our interviews with the cast!

   Here’s the lovely and talented Anna Baker, who plays one of the most famous fairy tales characters of them all - Little Red Riding Hood!

Q: Tell us the story behind Into the Woods. 

Anna: Into the Woods is a show that teaches us that happy endings aren't always what you think they should be. It is a lesson-learning show. It's about people who wish for too much, and receive more than they ask for. It is a beautiful show.

Q: So it's more than just children's fairy tales?

Anna: This show is so much more than fairy-tales. It has beautiful music, and characters with depth. Cinderella isn't just Disney's Cinderella, she's a strong, witty woman who has a direct path of growth in the show... as well and the rest of the characters. The Witch, The Baker and his Wife, Jack, the Stepsisters, Little Red... everyone changes for the better. 

Q: Tell us about the character you play. 

Anna: I play Little Red Ridinghood. She's a little brat who wants to grow up, and wants everything in the world. In the beginning, she thinks she is grown up enough and should have all of this responsibility, but she loses her naivety and innocence when the wolf attacks. She has a definite path of change, and it is funny and beautiful to see her begin to grow up on stage. I wanted Little Red because it's so much fun... plus I've always wanted to wear a red cape. I've always loved her story, and I've always felt that I could play this part well because of my passion for it... plus I'm getting older, so it was now or never.

Q: What's your background in theatre?

Anna: I started theatre when I was 15 (I'm 24 now) after seeing my first Broadway show, Hairspray. I loved the energy and the fullness it gave my heart, so I tried it too... turns out I'm not too bad, either. My first show was A Christmas Carol (2005) at ACTC, and I've had the theatre bug ever since.

Q: What's your favorite song in the show?

Anna: My favorite song in the show is "No More," which Mike Naglee sings as the Baker. Mike is such a great guy, and so much fun to work with. He has such passion, and when he opens his mouth to sing, I have small fan girl moments because he has such a beautiful voice, and performs wonderfully. That song is breathtaking. Another favorite song is anything Tiffany Trent sings as The Witch. She is such a great lady, and a good friend. I had no idea she could sing like that, but when her mouth opens for any song now, my heart gets that swelling feeling when someone's voice takes your breath away. She is amazing. My favorite scene in the show is the scene between Red and Jack when he shows her the golden egg. Andrew Surber and I are the biggest children in the cast, so getting to be bratty and argue with one another is too much fun. 

Q: What's been the most challenging thing about the show?

Anna: The most challenging thing about this show has been balancing my role and being one the the costumers. I learned everything I know from Paula Krepsik, the costumer for ACTC for many years. She is like my second mother, and she is an amazing designer and artist. Working with Debbie Fuller, Cyndi Fuller and Becky McClelland (who are both amazing as well, as well as having done just as much, if not more than me), I think we have a pretty marvelous looking show. Finding the right costumes and fit, and transforming items into new things was hard, but all that glitters is gold... and probably E-6000'd onto these costumes because we all know how much costumers love things that sparkle.

Q: Tell us about the cast - there's a lot of talent on display there.

Anna: This cast is great. We are so much fun. We're all like a family because many of us are Company, but those who aren't company fit right into our show. Kristina Richins and Nancy Jackson are such a pleasure to work with, and add so much to our group. I'm really glad they're part of this show, and I'll hope they'll be around for more.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Anna: Support your local theatre! Theatre is great for creativity, passion, and intelligence. It's a great experience for kids and adults alike. It's a great show with a great cast and a MARVELOUS orchestra thanks to Tawny Tilley, and the passion that people have for this show. Won't you join us in the Woods?

   Thanks Anna!

    Into the Woods is presented by Arts Resources for the Tri State (ARTS). The classic musical takes the stage June 19, 20, 21, 26, 27 and 28 at 8 p.m. at the ARTS Renaissance Main Stage at 900 8th Street in Huntington. Tickets are $15 for the show only, $30 for dinner and the show. Reservations are required for dinner - call 304-733-2787.

No comments: