Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

"Into the Woods" - Meet the Cast (#3)

   One of the fun things about being an actor is you get to play characters that are completely different from the real you.
   As we continue our interviews with the cast of the musical Into the Woods (which starts Friday in Huntington), let’s hear from the delightful Cyndi Fuller, who is playing way against type in this show.
Q: Tell us the story behind Into the Woods.

Cyndi: It’s not just one story. Each character has his or her own story, and it is all brought together by a curse. Every person is trying to get something. Every person has something another person wants. It’s all about wishing and what happens when you get what you wish for.

Q: So it's more than just children's fairy tales?

Cyndi: It’s fairy tales with a twist. Image what would happen if all your favorite fairy tales merged together. Have you ever wondered how another character could change an entire story? Into the Woods brings the stories of Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, and Rapunzel all together in one place. There is a witch, a baker and his wife, and of course a narrator to guide you through. The show is children’s fairy tales brought to life but with a little more zest.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Cyndi: I am Milky White. That’s right: I’m the cow. We have a real human person playing Milky White. I’m not just in an ordinary costume either. I am in something magnificent and big. I am a very, VERY big cow. Milky White is the beloved pet of Jack. Jack’s Mother is the meanest lady in the whole show because she sends Jack to market to sell Milky White! She even insults me via song! It turns out Milky White is a very vital part to everyone’s story. Without me, the show would unfold very differently.

Q: What's your background in theatre?

Cyndi: I’m a First Stage kid at heart. I spent a lot of years learning and growing there. I am honored that I got to be part of H.O.T. while it was producing shows. When I’m not on a stage, I’m part of Murder and Merriment. The improv we do for the murder mysteries has really shaped me as a performer. I’m happy to say this show will mark one year for me at ARTS. I really just love performing and have my whole life.

Q: What's your favorite song in the show?

Cyndi: We have one of the most talented women I know playing the witch. Every time Tiffany Trent opens her mouth to sing, I am in awe. Every night when she sings “Stay With Me,” I get watery eyes. She brings so much passion to her role! Tiffany is truly amazing to watch from the wings. I am lucky to get to share the stage with her.

Q: What's been the most challenging thing about the show?

Cyndi: I AM HUGE!!! My costume is like carrying two people around with me at all times. I have a tech member assigned to me just to help me maneuver backstage. My cast mates had to adapt their blocking to incorporate how massive I am. There is a lot of cow traffic backstage that they have had to learn to avoid. It’s heavy. It’s the size of the minivan. It’s a GREAT costume.

Q: Tell us about the cast - there's a lot of talent on display there.

Cyndi: We’re a pretty cool group of people.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Cyndi: It’s Sondheim. It’s fairy tales. What could be better?

   Thanks, Cyndi!


   Into the Woods is presented by Arts Resources for the Tri State (ARTS). The classic musical takes the stage June 19, 20, 21, 26, 27 and 28 at 8 p.m. at the ARTS Renaissance Main Stage at 900 8th Street in Huntington. Tickets are $15 for the show only, $30 for dinner and the show. Reservations are required for dinner - call 304-733-2787.

No comments: