Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, June 19, 2015

"Into the Woods" - Meet the Cast (#4)

   Today’s the day! This evening is the premiere of the ARTS production of the musical Into the Woods - so let’s hear from the cast!

   Here’s the lovely and talented Kristina Richins, who plays the part of a wicked stepsister!

Q: Tell us the story behind Into the Woods.

Kristina: It's a handful of beloved fairy tale characters doing whatever it takes to get their wishes, in Act 1. Then during Act 2, we see them dealing with the aftermath.  Lessons are learned, lives are changed, and some of our characters have some growing up to do.
  
Q: So it's more than just children's fairy tales?

Kristina: It really is!  While still appropriate for children, the show has gone a little deeper, to further humanize the characters and make them less one-dimensional. Most of the wishes are things that I think a lot of people can relate to - more money, beauty, to live a different life, etc.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Kristina: I'm playing Florinda, one of Cinderella's wicked step-sisters.  It's been a lot of fun, and I'm really enjoying the comical aspect of the character. I love making people laugh! Honestly, though, I love this show so much, director Bil Neal could have asked me to just stand on stage and play a tree, and I probably would have done it.

Q: What's your background in theatre?

Kristina: My background is fairly limited.  My first show was in 2012, and since then I've been completely hooked.  This is my first (and hopefully not the last) show with ARTS, and it's been a terrific experience!

Q: What's your favorite song in the show?

Kristina: It's so hard to choose!  I really have two favorites.  The first is "Your Fault" which leads right into the second, "Last Midnight." It's such a great build up, with characters throwing blame all around. Then our witch, Tiffany Trent comes along with her amazing voice and this super dramatic melody.  I just love it!

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Kristina: It's a good story, with wonderful music, and it's family-friendly entertainment. On top of that, you'll be supporting the arts and local talent, which is always a good thing. Personally, I don't know a better way to spend my time.

   Thanks Kristina!


    Into the Woods is presented by Arts Resources for the Tri State (ARTS). The classic musical takes the stage June 19, 20, 21, 26, 27 and 28 at 8 p.m. at the ARTS Renaissance Main Stage at 900 8th Street in Huntington. Tickets are $15 for the show only, $30 for dinner and the show. Reservations are required for dinner - call 304-733-2787.

No comments: