It's a busy holiday month ahead, but community theatre will be hopping as always - here's the schedule for the month of December:
- New Works Festival - Arts Resources for the Tri-state (ARTS) will present a series of 28 readings of new plays at the Renaissance Ballroom at 900 8th Street in Huntington on Dec. 4, 5, 11, 12 and 13. (For a full schedule, check this post.)
- Babes in Toyland - The Children's Theatre of Charleston presents the classic musical on Dec. 11 and 12 at 7 p.m. and Dec. 12 and 13 at 2 p.m. at the Civic Center Little Theater in Charleston. Tickets are $12 for adults and $10 for children. The show will also host a toy drive - bring a new unwrapped toy to donate.
- A Christmas Carol - Ashland Community and Technical College Theatre (ACTC) present the classic play at the J.B. Sowards Theatre at 1400 College Drive in Ashland on Dec. 3, 4 and 5 at 7 p.m. and Dec. 6 at 2 p.m. - tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students, seniors, and ACTC employees.
- Mary - Contemporary Youth Arts Company (CYAC) presents the original rock opera with music by Mark Scarpelli and lyrics by Dan Kehde at the WVSU Capitol Center Theater at 123 Summers Street in Charleston. Shows run Dec. 3, 4 and 5 at 8 p.m. - tickets are $15 for adults and $8 for students and senior citizens.
- It's a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Drama - The Alban Arts Center presents the live reading at the Alban Arts and Conference Center at 65 Olde Main Street in St. Albans on Dec. 11, 12, 18 and 19 at 8 p.m. and Dec. 13 and 20 at 2 p.m. - tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for children and senior citizens.
- A Christmas Story: The Musical - The Charleston Light Opera Guild (CLOG) presents the local premiere of the musical version of Jean Shepherd’s classic story. It will be presented at the Norman L. Fagan State Theater at the West Virginia Culture Center at 1900 Kanawha Boulevard East in Charleston on Dec. 18, 19 and 26 at 7:30 p.m., and Dec. 19, 20 and 27 at 2 p.m. - tickets are $20.
- A Christmas Carol...More or Less - Kanawha Players presents the play at the LaBelle Theater at 311 D Street in South Charleston on Dec. 18 and 19 at 7:30 p.m. and Dec. 20 at 2 p.m. - tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students, senior citizens and children under 18.
- The Glass Menagerie - Portsmouth Little Theatre at 1117 Lawson Street in Portsmouth presents the play by Tennessee Williams on Dec. 4, 5, 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m. - tickets are $12 for adults and $10 for senior citizens and students.
- Joytacular! - The No Pants Players present their annual Christmas show to benefit the Marine's Toys for Tots program. Admission is either a $10 ticket or you can donate a new toy. The “all ages” Improv show will be presented Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. at the Alban Arts Center on Main Street in St. Albans.
- Interactive Dinner Murder Mystery - Murder and Merriment presents murder mysteries, including: "Silent Night, Deadly Night!" on Dec. 5 at 6 p.m. at the Pipestem Spa and Event Center. Tickets are $55 per guest by reservation only, $50 with table of 8 - call 304-466-1767; and "Murder at the USO!" - a special New Year's Eve event on Dec. 31 at 7 p.m. at the Blennerhassett Hotel in Parkersburg. Tickets by reservation only - call 304-422-3131.
So mark those calendars and support your local theatre!