Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, June 24, 2016

A Review of "The Wizard of Oz"


   Travel and work have kept me on the road in June, so I haven’t been able to catch the HART in the Park production of the classic musical The Wizard of Oz, which wraps up this weekend at Huntington’s Ritter Park.

   But my pal Kate Woestman Morris posted a review of the show recently on Facebook, and with her kind permission, here are her thoughts:

   I don't know anyone in the cast, so I feel like this is objective. My family thoroughly enjoyed HART's production of The Wizard of Oz in Ritter Park. 

   The singing, dancing and storytelling were lovely. I believed in everyone down to the tiniest Munchkin, and everyone seemed to be having as good a time on stage as we were having off. 

   The entire cast was solid. They all seemed to commit to their characters in voice and body. Some of the Munchkins were surprisingly commanding and impressive for such young performers. 

   I thought the gentleman playing the Cowardly Lion was the cat's pajamas and my 3-year-old took a particular liking to the Scarecrow. Afterward, the actor gave her a handful of the straw from his costume and he might as well have reached up and pulled down the full moon. 

    I have to admit that I was a little hesitant about the 8:30 p.m. start time and the $12 ticket for a child I wasn't sure was going to make it through - but when I asked her what her favorite part was she got this beautiful look on her face and said, "The part when Dorothy made it back home." 


   Right then I knew it was worth every penny. Thank you, cast and crew for a wonderful evening.

No comments: