Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Interview with Laura Campbell from "A Catered Affair"

    There are just two performances left for A Catered Affair, and here's our final interview with the cast.

    Stepping up to the imaginary microphone is the wonderfully talented Laura Campbell:

Q: Tell us about the musical A Catered Affair.

Laura: A Catered Affair is essentially a true, blue-collar comedy. It’s a wonderful love story that centers around several sets of couples, particularly on one young and one past their prime. The way they relate to each other and experience the same emotions through different situations is so captivating to watch, and the story that unfolds around them is just gorgeous! My favorite aspect of A Catered Affair is that it plays in a way that is so true to life, and it’s just a beautiful musical. The first time it’s been done in West Virginia, or so I hear!

Q: What roles do you play?

Laura: I play the Army Sergeant and Alice.

Q: What’s your favorite song from the show?

Laura: My favorite song from the show doesn’t truly qualify as a song, but Aggie (Rachel Sanford) sings a reprise later in the musical that reflects upon all of the things she has done and seen with her husband, Tom (James Holley). The music is so lush and Rachel is such an expressive singer and actress. You can practically imagine Aggie’s life through all of the emotions on her face and the way she uses the music. On top of that, it’s at a truly sweet moment in the show. I nearly cry every time!

Q: What’s been the most challenging aspect about the show?

Laura: The most challenging thing for me is having to act. I know that must sound so silly! By nature, I’m a singing-type of performer, and in this musical, I hardly sing at all. So most of my scenes really draw on action and bringing the moment to life. It’s been such a welcome challenge to express myself through body language rather than my music!

Q: What makes this show fun?

Laura: Not only is this show hilarious, but the music is amazing. I think that those two things combined make this show so enjoyable for me personally. I have also so loved working with the cast and crew at rehearsals – they make every evening a blast!

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Laura: This show is incredibly funny and emotional, and the music is wonderful! The talent on stage is just breathtaking and the show is short and sweet. You can also indulge in dinner before – what could be better?

Q: Thanks, Laura!

A Catered Affair - ARTS presents the musical on Aug. 18 and 19 at the Renaissance Theatre Ballroom at 900 8th Street in Huntington. General Admission is $15. Make reservations by calling 304-733-2787. 

No comments: