Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Interview with Sheila Redling from "A Catered Affair"

   The musical A Catered Affair has three more shows coming up this week in Huntington, but order your tickets early - last weekend’s shows sold out! 

   We’ve been sharing interviews with members of the show’s cast, so let’s hear from the lovely and talented Sheila Redling.

Q. Tell us about the musical A Catered Affair.

Sheila: When I heard A Catered Affair my first thought was a light, glitzy musical comedy of manners but I was way off. Although there is comedy and a few rousing musical numbers, the show is quite serious and very moving. It's a story of love and life, regret and redemption.

Q. What roles do you play?

Sheila: I play one of the nosy neighbors, Delores, as well as the caterer for the titular event. My accents get a workout. 

Q. What's your favorite song in the show?

Sheila: It's impossible to pick a favorite song from this show. The music is fantastic and I've always got one of the tunes stuck in my head. If I must pick one, it would be the rousing number, “Immediate Family.” Not only is Robert (Hutchens) wonderful, the rest of the cast react so beautifully. It's a show-stopper.

Q. What's been the most challenging aspect about the show?

Sheila: My biggest challenge was just showing up. This is my first ARTS production and I had to take a huge leap out of my comfort zone. Our director, Bil Neal, has been wonderfully supportive, enthusiastic, and refreshingly candid in helping us develop our choices. I'm so impressed with the level of talent and dedication in every aspect of the production.

Q. What makes this show so much fun?

Sheila: As I mentioned earlier, the show holds significant emotional weight. You will be moved. Thankfully, however, I'm not in those scenes. Let's just say that I put the "broad" in "broad comedy" and I'm happy to do so. The script has so much color and fun, and Bil has given us license to really flesh these characters out. 

Q. Why would you recommend this show? 

Sheila: There are so many reasons I would recommend A Catered Affair. The most obvious is the quality of the production. The script and music are wonderful. At the risk of cliche, you'll laugh and you'll cry. The is the first time a company in West Virginia has put on the show so you'll be seeing something fresh. And finally, everyone should see the show because we all need more art in our lives. We need to make it, share it, and support it.  

Q: Thanks, Sheila!


A Catered Affair - ARTS presents the musical on Aug. 17, 18 and 19 at the Renaissance Theatre Ballroom at 900 8th Street in Huntington. General Admission is $15 show only and $30 for dinner and show. You must reserve reservations for dinner by calling 304-733-2787. The dinner menu for this show is: fresh kale lemon salad, baked steak with mushroom gravy, rice pilaf, apricot glazed carrots, and three tier wedding cake for dessert.

No comments: