Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, April 16, 2007

George Carlin and Breaking a String

Blogger and my computer have been feuding, so my nearly two-month long string of posting an entry every day has been broken - let's see if I can break my record in the months ahead.

There are lots of shows coming up this week, including "Nunsense" and "The Music Man" - I'll have more about those in the days ahead.

But in catching up, I wanted to share my thoughts about George Carlin's appearance at the Paramount on Friday.

My lovely wife Jeanette and I had a great time at the concert - even at 69, Carlin has lost none of his edge. I consider him the greatest comedian of his generation.

He talked briefly about how he creates shows - he's on a two year cycle, where he works on a new show, takes it across the country, refining it - and then does another HBO special. Then he starts all over again. Since this show is in the early stages, he actually had a stack of notes with him, that he referred to now and then - a bit unusual for a comic, but we were seeing a master craftsman at work, constantly honing his work.

Of course, this isn't a show for the little ones (and thankfully I didn't see any in the audience) - he's often vulgar, profane and otherwise offensive - but always in service of his comedy or making a pointed commentary. I don't always agree with him (heck, I don't always agree with anyone), but I appreciate his passion and his candor.

Apparently his last tour leaned a little too much on the depressing side - he said he did a 30-minute routine on suicide! So this one he lightened up much more, although there's plenty of the angry ranting you'd expect.

I've always wanted to see him live in concert, and it was great to finally get the chance to catch his act - he's the best there is at what he does!

No comments: