Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Farewell, Mr. Clarke

Sorry to note the passing of one of the giants of both science and science fiction. Sir Arthur C. Clarke, the author of the screenplay for 2001: A Space Odyssey (and the short story it was based on, The Sentinel), along with dozens of books like Rendezvous with Rama, The Hammer of God and The Fountains of Paradise. All works of great imagination and insight.

What many people don't realize is that in 1945 he proposed the idea of using satellites for communications - and that would be enough for most people, but it's just one note on his resume.

He was the last member of "The Big Three" - the authors who were the pillars of science fiction for generations (the other two being Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein, of course). At the age of 90 and in poor health, it's no surprise that he's gone - but it's still sad to see the end of an era.

It's not easy to name a favorite from that list, but for me, Arthur was the best - I read a collection of his earliest short stories recently, and was somewhat surprised to see how clever and funny he was even at an early age.

Asimov was incredibly prolific, and had written something like 300 books by his 60th birthday. Clarke always joked that he planned to write 60 books by the time he turned 300. I was beginning to think he was going to make it (to 300, I mean).

EDIT: It occurs to me that I should mention that Clarke ended up writing almost 100 books altogether.

I know, none of this has much to do with theater - but when a giant passes, it's only right to take off your hat and bow your head.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You and Len are both in mourning today.

Sanctuary said...

I'm a big fan of Sir Arthur C. Clarke. I have the unabridged audiobook of "2001: A Space Odyssey"which includes a lengthy introduction written and voiced by Clarke. I played it in his honor today. R.I.P.

I have to miss the Ohio 24-Hour Sci-Fi Marathon at The Drexel in Columbus this year because I'll be onstage for "The Crucible" that weekend, but for any fellow geeks that are able to go, it's a blast, and I'd highly recommend the experience. 24 straight hours of sci-fi movies in a theatre with like-minded individuals. It's awesome! I've been for the past 5 years.

-Ryan

Chuck Minsker said...

24 hours of sci-fi movies? How have I missed hearing about that one?

Thanks for sharing, Denise and Ryan!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck!

Nice tribute to Clarke!! I remember back in the day when we'd sit around talking about the latest releases from him and the good Dr. A.

- Neal

Chuck Minsker said...

Could that be my pal Neal Alhadeff? Awesome to hear from you! We had many great times in college, discussing everything from Clarke to Tolkein along with Life, the Universe and Everything! Hope all is well with you and yours, my friend!