Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

When I was young, Memorial Day was a big holiday. A large gathering of my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins would form a caravan of vehicles and visit rural graveyards, placing flowers on the graves of relatives who died long ago. My Uncle Claude would place a small American flag on the graves of the veterans.

We'd have a picnic lunch at a roadside park (back when such things existed) and eventually make our way home. It really wasn't a somber event - it was more a celebration of those who had passed on.

I continue the tradition in a much more limited fashion these days. My Mom and I pay our respects at a few family plots and leave flowers. We also place flags by my Grandfather Hill's grave (he was a veteran of World War I) and my father's grave (he served in the Navy during World War II).

I hope, as a nation, we never forget the debt we owe to the untold thousands of men and women who served their country.

I urge you to observe the day by taking a few moments and remembering your loved ones - even the ancestors you never met. We wouldn't be here without them!

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

No comments: