Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

An Interview with "Joseph"

Starting this weekend is one of my favorite musicals - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - and to tell you more about it we have a series of e-interviews with assorted members of the cast.

Let's start off with the title character, Joseph, who is played by Bradley Leonard:

Q: For those who haven't seen it, what is Joseph about?

Bradley: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is a story taken from the Bible and is a story of a boy with the gift of explaining dreams. The show starts with a narrator telling a group of children of how their dreams can change the world and to explain this she tells the story of Joseph. So throughout the show the narrator is telling the tale and we see how Joseph’s dreams change the world around him for the better.

Q: Why did you want to be in this show?

Bradley: One of the main reasons I really wanted to do this show came to me when I started researching it. I believe it was in the song "Close Every Door." During this song Joseph is in jail and he feels worthless. I found I really could relate to this because through the course of my life I fought medical problems and troubles with people who wanted to throw me away instead of helping me. Once I saw that song I knew that I wanted o portray that part because in many ways I was this character.

Q: What's your favorite part of the show?


Bradley: I have so many favorite parts of this show I guess one that I can narrow down is the children. The children add a certain magic to the show. It’s weird but it seems that when we might be tired of maybe unsure about something all we have to do is look at the kids and their smiling faces give us a strong purpose for what we need to do. Because in a sense the show is a story for children and they are a constant reminder of how we need to embrace the child like mindset to be who we are.

Q: Have you had fun working on this with the rest of the cast?

Bradley: This cast has truly been fantastic. I’ve enjoyed every moment that I’ve spent with them, whether it be building a set or blocking a scene - they have all been wonderful and I will be very sad to have to say goodbye to them in the end.

Q: When and where will the show be presented?

Bradley: The show will be at the Jeslyn Performing Arts Academy located in downtown Huntington on May 20, 21, 27 and 28 at 8 p.m. and May 21 and 22 at 2:30 p.m.

No comments: