Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Is Theatre Too Expensive? (Part II)

We've had some interesting letters on the recent comment about the high cost of community theatre tickets - but a couple of them seem to have been lost during recent problems with Blogger... so let's print them here for all to see and discuss.

Stephen Vance wrote:
I've had this conversation several times with people I know. Our take ends up being almost the exact opposite.

Community theatre ticket prices in Huntington are not only reasonable but probably a little cheaper than they should be. I've had the opportunity to see shows both professionally produced and locally produced not just in Huntington but in other cities as well. On average, I've paid $20 to $25 for community produced shows nearly everywhere except for in Huntington.

I know we've intentionally kept the prices down in groups I've worked with, afraid that it would keep audiences away, even though there would be huge benefits to the quality and sanity of the productions with more revenue.

The point we arrive at is this. Seeing a community theatre show for $15 is equivalent to almost any form of entertainment we have otherwise in this area. Going to the movies are a little cheaper, but if you see one in 3D it's almost the same. Bowling a few games, going out to eat, spending a day at the mall or Walmart, etc. all have comparable entertainment costs, but its a matter of choice.

Even if theatre tickets are slightly more expensive, you are taking part of something you can't get anywhere else, live theatre.

As far as cutting ticket prices down further, I think everyone knows this is impossible. Over half of the budget for the last three shows I've worked on has been in fees paid to the rights holder. (That's before even the first costume was rented or the first box of screws was bought).

I understand the misconception that ticket prices are too high, but if you want to see live entertainment it has non-negotiable costs that the ticket sales sometimes actually cover. I think everyone involved in local theatre can agree that ticket sales aren't about making someone rich, it's simply about just getting the show actually paid for.

Linda Reynolds wrote:
As most folks know,very seldom does the ticket revenue pay for the cost of presenting a community threatre show, especially a musical. Program ads, T-shirt sales, fund raising events such as pancake breakfasts are used to help defray the substantial costs involved.

The desire to present theatre, involving children or not, runs very strong in this town. I mean, who WANTS to do those fund raising things. The rights and royalties of even a modest musical can easily run to $10,000. In addition, the cost of the venue has to be included in the budget and that can run another $8000 or more.

Rarely, if we are fortunate, a benefactor will act as an "angel" or sponsor and defray some of the cost involved. We who perform, crew and support in any other way, those on stage, are in the same boat as far as personal finances are concerned, as the writer. We work full time to "play" part-time, often supplying our costumes and sometimes props for our productions.

So don't think we are not honored by your presence and the financial sacrifice it represents. You could have gone to a MU Football game for a minimum ticket price of $16, you could have gone to Charleston where community theatre often costs $20 a ticket and is well worth it. But, you chose us. Thank you. We will give you more than your $15 worth.

Eddie Harbert wrote:
Ditto Stephen. Just to do Titanic, we had to pay the royalty company over $2000.00. Costumes were about $1000 and set was about $1500.

After that you have to add publicity costs, orchestra, staff, etc. I would love to cut ticket prices, but we simply can't do that if we are going to produce quality shows. We have had to raise ticket prices because it now costs us more money to produce the shows.

Lisa Williams wrote:
Linda,

I think your response was so nicely worded. Those folks who are associated with the world of theatre (on stage or in the audience) do understand the cost, hard work, time, etc. to put on a show, but I like the idea that the cast and crew also understand it's a financial sacrifice for those sitting in the audience. That was a cool thing to say. :-)

And I've never been to a show in the Huntington area where the cast and crew haven't given 110%. The performers in Huntington have always given us more than our $15 worth. And as someone who LOVES live theatre, THANK YOU!

I don't have a problem with the ticket prices as much as I have a problem with the fact that all the plays are performed in the same month. I don't mind spending the money to see live theater; I just wish I didn't have to spend it all at the same time. :-)

It seems like there are so many wonderful shows all running at the same time (October and May) that I can't see them all... not for lack of funds but for lack of available days in my calendar. :-(

I do wish there was a way to "hook" more people in this area. I am always so disappointed in the low attendance rates of some of the shows I've seen. The shows are outstanding and should be playing to packed houses, but they are not. I don't understand people in Huntington for not coming out and seeing a show.

But it's not just local theatre. My husband and I were at the comedy club at Pullman last week-end... on a Saturday night... at the 10:30 show. It should have been packed, but it wasn't. And they were giving away tickets! So much for things being too expensive to come out and see!

We have a lot of good stuff in the way of live entertainment for the people of Huntington. I'm not sure why people aren't filling up the seats!
Thanks for the comments! I have a few things to add, which I'll pitch in tomorrow. As always, if you'd like to join the discussion, click on the comment link below or email me at TheMinskers@aol.com.

1 comment:

Bil Neal said...

I agree with the points being made here, but to the original point--Most of the time when we're putting on a show we need ushers. It's about 30 minutes worth of work, and you see the show at no cost.