Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Our First "Julius Caesar" Interview


   As Shakespeare's Julius Caesar prepares to take the stage, we have several e-interviews with the cast to share.

   Let's start out with my pal Sarah Diamond Burroway:

Q: What is the story behind the play Julius Caesar?

Sarah: Friendship, deceit, heroes and villains, power, persuasion, conspiracy.  

Q: What character do you play? 

Sarah: I play the Soothsayer who tries to warn Julius Caesar that conspiracy is afoot. I really like that (director) Mike Murdock set the show in today's time and made the Soothsayer a modern day bag lady.

Q:  Why did you want to be part of this show?

Sarah: I'm just very pleased with what ARTS is doing for community theatre in our region, really coming out and making a commitment for the future with the Resident Acting Company. I worked with Mike Murdock last fall in my first show at ARTS, Macbeth, and played one of the Weird Sisters. I loved it and wanted to do more Shakespeare. I auditioned for the Company last fall and was thrilled to be cast in Caesar. The vision, the use of media and technology - these factors attracted me to the project. 

Q: What's your theatre background, and why do you enjoy doing community theatre shows?

Sarah: I'm still a newbie in community theatre, only doing shows since 2010 and have the highest regard for the people at ARTS and in our community who've been doing theatre for years. I love the collaboration and believe the arts elevate a community and enrich our quality of life. I enjoy the learning atmosphere at ARTS and am so grateful for new opportunities to grow as an actor and as someone interested in arts and non-profit leadership. 

Q: Why would you recommend this show?

Sarah: If you like Shakespeare, you'll love this adaptation. If you're unsure about Shakespeare, Julius Caesar is a great starting point- particularly this contemporary version. 

Q:  Biggest challenge to this show?  

Sarah: Our first read-through was in December and I've been so anxious for March to get here! It's been a pleasure to work with this cast and crew and my fellow Resident Acting Company members on this show. 

Q: When and where will the show be staged?

Sarah: Julius Caesar opens on the Ides of March at ARTS. Show dates and times are March 15, 16, 22, 23 at 8:00 pm nightly. Call 304-733-ARTS for tickets. 

No comments: