Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

President No More (And I Feel Fine)

   Four years ago I was driving back from taking classes in Maryland (a work-related assignment) when I received a phone call from my pal C.E. Wilson.

   "Great news," he tells me. "You're the new President of First Stage Theatre Company."

   It wasn't exactly a surprise. I had been the Vice-President for two years, and as President, C.E. had made some noise about stepping down. That usually means the VP is next in the batter's box.

   I have to admit, I was happy to tackle the challenge. I've been involved with Huntington's children's theatre since 1995, when my oldest son tried out for - and was cast in - The Wizard of Oz. (His big line for the show was, "Hail to Dorothy! The Wicked Witch is dead!")

   As with most child-related activities, I found myself getting more and more involved (and enjoying it thoroughly). As my sons grew up appearing onstage or working backstage, I kept busy. I helped build sets. Ran the lights. Operated the sound board. Helped produce shows. Finally, in 2001, I directed my first show - and had a blast. I've directed eight more shows with First Stage since then.

   My experience has taught me that theatre is a great experience for young people. It teaches some of life's most important skills - working with others, teamwork, public speaking, creativity, thinking fast, kindness, consideration - I could go on and on.

   Best of all, the young people involved make friends and create memories they'll cherish forever - so I admit, I think it's a great thing for kids.

   And it doesn't cost the families anything except time and involvement - important investments in any child.

   For all those reasons, I was happy to tackle the President's job. Even though First Stage has been around for 23 years, there have only been six presidents: George Snider, Clint McElroy, Jerry Morse, Tom Hastie, C.E. Wilson and yours truly - so it's a great club to be part of.

   Our lucky number seven in the line is Hunt Bryan, the group's past Vice-President and a heck of a dedicated dad and board member - it's great to know the group is in such good hands! Mary Smirl is the new Vice-President, and the children's theatre has no stronger advocate!

   As for me, I'll continue as a member of the board. I'm planning to direct our second Alumni Concert next Christmas (more on that soon), I'll serve as a producer on one show coming up next season, and I'll probably direct a show sometime after that. So I'll keep busy.

   I'm proud to be part of First Stage, I appreciate their trust in me and I admit that I'm mighty proud of the work we've done and the young performers we've worked with, both in the last four years and in the 19 before that.

   The way the board looks at it is: it's all about the kids, and giving them a chance to grow and learn and have fun.

   If you know a kid interested in being part of a show - either on stage or behind the scenes - urge them to watch the website - www.FirstStageTheatre.org - or follow the group on Facebook.

   The sky's the limit!
 

2 comments:

C.E. said...

Thanks for the kind words Chuck. You've done a wonderful job as President that's vividly displayed by the love you have for the kids you've influenced over the years, including both yours and mine. You're a special friend and fellow worker helping great kids for many years.

Chuck Minsker said...

Thanks, C.E.! Appreciate the kind sentiments - right back atcha, pal!