Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, August 12, 2013

"Man Who Came to DInner" Interview #1


   For years now I've been running interviews on this blog with the cast and directors of local community theatre shows.

   I'm part of the cast of the upcoming comedy, The Man Who Came to Dinner (which starts next weekend at Huntington's Renaissance Theatre), and it only seems fair to put myself under the gun, since I've subjected so many others to this treatment - so here goes:

Q: Tell us the basic story of The Man Who Came to Dinner.

Chuck: It's a funny story set at Christmastime in the 1930s. It's all about what happens when a famous radio personality - Sheridan Whiteside (played brilliantly by Mike Murdock) - is injured while visiting the home of a wealthy family. He's forced to stay at their home while he recuperates, and he is a (sometimes) delightful scoundrel, insulting everyone and turning the household upside down. He must deal with raucous visitors, a secretary who threatens to leave, a pesky nurse, a mysterious woman, a diva, visiting stars and assorted romances. It's a heck of a lot of fun and loaded with laughs!
  
Q: Tell us about the character you play.


Chuck: I play Dr. Bradley, the local physician who looks after Whiteside (and endures much abuse) while he recuperates. The Doc is a nice enough guy, but if you're hurt, you could probably find a better physician to look after you.

Q: What's your favorite part of the show?


Chuck: Tough question, because there are so many funny scenes. I'd probably have to go with the scenes that involve the celebrity named "Banjo," a thinly-disguised version of one of the biggest comedy stars of the '30s and beyond. It's a hoot!

Q: What's your background in theatre?


Chuck: It's all over the place. I was too shy to be involved when I was young, but my kids got involved with First Stage Theatre, Huntington's long-running children's theatre, and I tagged along. I was building sets, running lights and sound, producing shows and eventually I found myself directing shows. Before I started directing, I figured I should try to get some onstage experience as an actor, so I tried out for HOT's 1776 (which was staged in 2001). I was cast in a small role (thankfully), had a great time and learned a lot. I've directed nine shows for First Stage since then, and two for other groups. I didn't try for another acting gig until 2011, when I was in 5th Avenue Theatre's Camelot. Then last year I reprised my 1776 role for ARTS, and they were crazy enough to invite me back again.  This should teach 'em.

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show?


Chuck: For two reasons: the play is a heck of a lot of fun with a terrific cast; and it means I get to work with some old pals, including Gene Anthony, who directed the first show I was in. I'm glad for another chance to work with and learn from the master (but don't tell him I said that - there will be no living with him). 

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?


Chuck: As I've said, it's a funny play, and it's also smart and clever, with terrific dialogue, a sharp wit, show business references that will delight any trivia fan, and terrific performances by an amazing cast. And it's live theatre, for crying out loud, with ticket prices cheaper than you'd pay for a 3D movie. Need I mention that this show is also in 3D?

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.


Chuck: It runs Friday and Saturday, Aug. 16, 17, 23 and 24 at 8 p.m. at the Renaissance Theatre, which is located in the old Huntington High School auditorium at 800 9th Street in Huntington. There's a limited number of dinner reservations available - call 304-733-ARTS (304-733-2787) for more info. Highly recommended!



   

1 comment:

MHN1957 said...

Asking himself the tough questions since 2013, ladies and gentlemen, I give you, Chuck Minsker!