Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

"The Man Who Came to Dinner Interview #6



 As the final weekend performances of the comedy The Man Who Came to Dinner draws near, let's hear from the lovely and delightful Karen Kelly Pruitt, who plays the part of Mrs. Stanley, who tries mightily to keep the peace between their visitor (the famous and abrasive Sheridan Whiteside) and her husband, who finds himself on the verge of an explosion.

   Here's Karen:

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Karen: I play Mrs. Ernest Stanley (affectionately called Daisy by my husband). Mr. Sheridan Whiteside was visiting our beautiful home when he slipped on ice and injured his hip. He ends up staying in our home to recuperate. We have to be hospitable because of the unfortunate incident (and the threats of lawsuits)… right? Well, Daisy is THRILLED to have such a celebrity under her roof, even though she and her family are expected to put up with Mr. Whiteside’s demands, insults and eccentric friends and colleagues passing through. AND she must contend with her husband, Ernest, who is not thrilled by any means!

Q: What's your favorite part of the show?

Karen: It’s hard to pick out a favorite, single part….I’ll have to say anytime Mr. Whiteside (Mike Murdock) is on stage. That is pretty much all the time! It’s amazing to watch him with all of the cast! He is so talented and works to bring out the best from his fellow actors. Everyone ends up being their best!

Q: What's your background in theatre?

Karen: I did not get involved with theater until about 2003 or 2004. I don’t have any training in theater; I’ve learned by listening and watching other actors in plays as they develop their character. Fortunately, I have had amazing directors to give me wonderful opportunities and great advice and encouragement. I have truly been bitten by the acting “bug.” I am extremely proud to say I am a member of the ARTS Resident Acting Company!

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show?

Karen: Three reasons….
A. Gene Anthony is the director – who would pass up this learning opportunity?
B. Mike Murdock is the lead – to be on stage with him is a check mark on my “Bucket List.” I’m not ashamed to say that I have a huge crush on Mike!
C. It’s a great comedy!! I LOVE comedy!!

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Karen: It’s hysterical!!

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Karen: One more weekend – Aug. 23 and 24 at 8 p.m. at the Renaissance Theater at ARTS (the old Huntington High School).

   Thanks, Karen! And thanks to Stephen Vance for the photo!



No comments: