Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"Shrek" Cast Interview #2


   Time for another interview with the cast of Shrek the Musical!

   This time around, let's hear from the height-challenged (in the play) ruler who makes life difficult for Shrek.

   Here's my pal David Vickers:

Q: Tell us the basic story of the musical comedy Shrek.

David: Shrek is a tale that encompasses a collection of famous storybook creatures in a setting involving an ogre who finds companionship and true love. Of course, there's this villain that makes his journey more interesting along the way.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

David: I…am Lord Farquaad. Farquaad is a cheesy perfectionist with a Napoleon complex and daddy issues. Farquaad is on a quest to make his province a kingdom and will do anything (delegated of course) to make it so.

Q: What's your favorite song in the show?  

David: Obviously,  I love the songs I get to sing, especially "What's Up, Duloc," with the Duloc Dancers (kick line anyone?). My favorite is one that I just want to sing along to every time, "Traveling Song."  As a father of two, I believe any parent that has experienced a road trip of any kind will completely relate and will be singing along by the end! Ryan and Mark do a great job!

Q: What's your background in theatre?

David: My background is actually limited in theatre. My interest began in high school when I competed in forensics at Duval High School. Becky Wiley inspired me to work my talents, which took me to Marshall competing for the forensics team. I made some friends who were theatre majors, and in support, I checked out some plays and liked it. It wasn't until after I got married and started my professional career that I was asked by Jim and Trudy Fankhannel to audition for Annie in 2002. So I did. George Snider cast me in various roles then again in Gypsy (Helen Freedman, Tommy Smirl, et. al).  That started the "bug," but my availability as a professional, father and husband limited my opportunities. Since then I worked with ARTS in 1940's Radio Hour and 1776.  I also worked with Curtains Up Players when they were organized as Pullman Plaza Playhouse. I played Vice-Principal Douglas Panch in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and then played Mushnik in Little Shop of Horrors.  

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show?

David: Since I've seen the movie, I've always enjoyed the Farquaad character.  Of course, being of short stature brings the humor home a little bit but that's what's so fun about it! The DVD version had a CD ROM that allowed you to do your own voice over from your favorite scenes. I HAD to do the interrogation scene between Farquaad and Gingy! When I heard that CUP was doing the musical locally, I knew I had to go for Farquaad! I do want to thank Holly Maynard, Michael Rose and Shayne Gue for casting me in a "Bucket List" role! It's been a blast! 

Q: This is a new show, never staged in this area - are you excited to be part of the first local cast to tackle it?

David: Absolutely! We know that expectations are high. None are higher than our own for this show. We realize that future productions of Shrek: The Musical in the region will be compared to our production. We WANT their show to be awesome; therefore, we HAVE to be! I know my interpretation of Farquaad, in particular, will really be under the microscope as will any of the leads and the cast as a whole. My directors are great in allowing me to bring my own interpretation and sculpting it to be a memorable and enjoyable for the audience. I’d love for directors of future “Farquaads” to say, “do it just like David Vickers did it in 2013,” but I want them to do it even better! It’s my job to make that job harder for them and better for their audience. I think it’s great that new shows are being announced and produced in the Tri-State!  That’s not to say I do not enjoy the productions of favorites, however. The talent in this area enables the production companies to push the bar higher and higher.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

David: If you like the movie, you’ll love the show.  If you love the movie, plan on seeing this production multiple times. I have enjoyed every rehearsal and the show doesn’t get old. There is such a balance of tenderness, cruelty, humor, outrageousness and sincerity spoken through familiar characters on their “great and noble quest!” The costumes are huge, the personalities are fun and the music is memorable. Oh, did I mention there was a dragon?

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

David: The shows will be performed at the Jeslyn Performing Arts Center on 4th Avenue in Huntington. There will be four school shows on Sept. 12 and 13 at 9 a.m. and Noon. Evening performances will be held Sept. 5, 6, 12, 13 and 14 at 8 p.m. Matinées will be held on Sept. 7, 14 and 15 at 2:30 p.m. You can pick your seat by ordering tickets online at curtainsupplayers.org. Walk up tickets will be available the day of show (cash, checks, and major credit cards are accepted)! If you know a cast member, you can get your tickets from them. Group rates are available for groups of 10 or more.

   Thanks, David!

No comments: