Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"Shrek" Cast Interview #3

   For our third interview with the cast of Shrek the Musical, let's hear from a double threat!

   That's because she plays two characters in the play - and both are moms!

   Here's Melanie Manchester:

Q: Tell us the basic story of the musical comedy Shrek.


Melanie: Shrek goes on a quest to win his land back and ends up getting a lot more than he bargained for. And his life will never be the same. 

Q: Tell us about the characters you play.

Melanie: Mama Ogre - Shrek's loving mother. 
Mama Bear - A proud, no-nonsense woman who backs down to no one. 

Q: What's your favorite song in the show?

Melanie: I love "Freak Flag!" We all have a little freak in us and we should be proud to be who we are!

Q: What's your background in theatre?

Melanie: Like many, I started in church. Then I got involved with my schools drama team. My mom got me involved with Shawnee State University's Theatre Department at the age of 13, where I performed in several shows until I was 25. I continued my love of theatre all through my college career and eventually graduated from SSU with a degree in Theatre Business. In 2009 I joined the board of the Portsmouth Little Theatre and continue to work onstage as well as off with theaters in the tri-state area.

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show?

Melanie: I have always loved this fairy tale. When I saw the Broadway tour earlier this Spring I fell in love with it. I jumped at the opportunity to be part of such a great show! 
 
Q: This is a new show, never staged in this area - are you excited to be part of the first local cast to tackle it?

Melanie: I am so excited! This cast is amazing and I am so proud of everyone in it! 
 
Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Melanie: It's the "updated" fairy tale for all ages! It's funny, heartwarming, and educational for everyone! This show has no limitations on its audience! 
 
Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Melanie: We will be performing at the Jeslyn Performing Arts Center (1030 4th Avenue) on Sept. 5 and 6 at 8 p.m. and a Sept. 7 matinee performance at 2:30 p.m. Also, the following weekend, Sept. 12 and 13 at 8 p.m and Sept. 14 at 2:30 p.m. and 8 p.m., closing with a matinee at 2:30 p.m. on Sept. 15. 

   Thanks, Melanie!

No comments: