Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Fiddler on the Roof

This is one of my all-time favorite musicals, and it’s great to see it being staged in Huntington again - it’s been 10 years! In case you haven’t seen it, Fiddler on the Roof is the story of a man named Tevye and his family and friends. Together they go through many changes - and while the story is set on another continent, it’s one that’s all too familiar - and one that will touch the hardest of hearts. As Tevye tries to hold onto the old ways, he finds the world changing around him, and he must face the loss of his daughters as they fall in love and move away to start their own lives.

As staged by ARTS at the Renaissance Center (perhaps someday we’ll be able to leave off the description, “also known as the old Huntington High School”), Fiddler boasts an outstanding cast of local veterans of all ages. Playing the lead is Clint McElroy (of WTCR fame), and I’d tell you he’s one of the finest actors and singers in the area even if he wasn’t such a good friend of mine. Seeing him in this role will be a real treat.

Playing the part of his wife Golde is Mary Olson, and I’d tell you that she’s also a wonderfully talented performer with an amazing voice even if she wasn’t also a dear friend of mine (but I have known Clint longer - just barely). They have several wonderful songs and scenes together, but my favorite has to be the sweet “But Do You Love Me?” - it will bring a tear to any eye.

My pal Linda Reynolds plays Yente and - as always - she’s hilarious. (I’ll refrain from listing all the other cast members I know, but I’m pretty sure there are a few who I haven’t met - yet.)

Fiddler is an unusual musical - it has very little dancing, but makes up for it with lots of humor. But like the best musicals, the songs drive the story forward, and you’ll find yourself captivated. The show opens tonight, and I suggest you make the time to see it - you can thank me later.

No comments: