Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

I Don't Remember Getting Older

I've seen "Fiddler on the Roof" on stage twice locally. The first time was at the Mountaineer Dinner Theater (hands up, those of you who remember that unique venue), and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have no idea what year that would have been - an offhanded guess would be the late '70s.

The second time I saw the show was the last time it was performed in Huntington. The Musical Arts Guild staged it (I'm guessing in the mid-90s) at the City Hall Auditorium, with Jim Stone playing the lead perfectly. He was such a wonderful guy and a real friend to the Huntington theatre community - one day soon I'll write more about him.

If you've never seen "Fiddler," your chance is coming up next Friday, this time with the multi-talented Clint McElroy tackling the lead, supported by some of the top performers in the area, including Mary Olson and many others (oh, I'll include Mark Near on the list, just so his feelings won't be hurt). Throw in the directing talents of Broadway veteran Beth McVey, and you know you're in for a treat.

2 comments:

Stephen Vance said...

Rabbi David Wucher came and prayed as the Mezuzah's were hung on the door posts last night. He also prayed a blessing over the show, cast, and crew. It was a unique experience that I was glad to be a prart of.

Chuck Minsker said...

He's a great guy - and I've never been involved with a show yet that didn't benefit from the power of prayer!