Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Long, Beautiful Hair

One of the shows starting soon (on Wednesday, October 11, to be exact) is the hit musical Hair, being presented by Marshall University’s Department of Theatre. It’s a rare musical performance from MU (which is a real shame, given the level of talent they have), but with the terrific talent they're putting on the stage -- including Ryan Harridan, Autumn Seavey and Nick Reynolds (to name only three) - and the guidance of director Jack Cirillo and Music Director Mark Smith (to name only two), you know this is one that you must not miss.


When it ran on Broadway back in the late ‘60s, Hair was controversial because it included a scene where virtually the entire cast shed their clothing. If you’re wondering (and you know you are), there won’t be any actual nudity in Marshall’s presentation (or so I’m told) - but it will be “suggested.”


If you’re planning to go, my advice is to pick up your tickets immediately - when I ordered mine last week I was told they were “going fast.” MU’s shows have a bad habit of selling out (every theatre group should have such troubles) - might I suggest that they add more performances?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could be there.

Chuck Minsker said...

Evan writes us from Chicago - and I hear they occasionally have good shows there, so take comfort in that.

Anonymous said...

I might also add that "Hair" has been fortunate in that it has been choreographed --stunningly--by the Artistic Director of The West Virginia Dance Company of Beckly, Donald Laney. The work has been very creative and wonderfully organic, and the results are simply amazing. I would also point out that "Hair" has been made possible through a College of Fine Arts collaboration between both the departments of Music and Theatre. Collaboration after all, is the corner stone of the theatrical artform and it truely has found a wonderful example in this. The show is also being produced as part of the Birke Fine Arts Symposium 2006 which has lent great support for the project. We are all very excited about this project and look forward to seeing you there.
--Jack Cirillo

Chuck Minsker said...

Thanks, Jack! The community is in for a real treat with "Hair." I would have tried out for the show myself, but I lack a cerain key ingredient on the top of my head.

Anonymous said...

What would you know about hair.

Mary (not your Cousin) in Maryland

Chuck Minsker said...

Mary (who is not my cousin but sure sounds just like her), I may be lacking hair at the moment, but when the original "Hair" hit the stage, boy howdy did I have long, beautiful hair. (Those were the days!) I try to make up for what Mother Nature has taken away by growing extra fuzz on my face. Pitiful, I know.