Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Legally Blonde - from Broadway to MTV

When I was a tyke, you could catch glimpses of Broadway on programs like The Ed Sullivan Show, as performers recreated songs for the national audience. These days, there doesn't seem to be an outlet for that sort of thing (though why Conan O'Brien or David Letterman don't take more advantage of the shows down the street, I have no idea).

That's about to change - at least momentarily - as MTV (as in Music Television - you know, the channel that used to show music videos) has announced plans to film the Broadway musical Legally Blonde and air it in its entirety. The first broadcast is scheduled for Saturday, September 29 at 1:00 p.m.

MTV will film Legally Blonde at the Palace Theatre. This isn't the first time a stage show has been recorded for TV, of course - but no show has ever been broadcast while still running on Broadway. It's an interesting experiment - will the broadcast spark interest in the live show or kill off the audience's interest?

Legally Blonde stars Kentucky native Laura Bell Bundy as Elle Woods. Directed and choreographed by Jerry Mitchell, the show features a score by Nell Benjamin and Laurence O'Keefe and book by Heather Hach.

You know what I always say: set the Tivo!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck...Shirlee again...I returned from NYC yesterday and Macy was at the taping of Legally Blonde on Tuesday night and they said the times might have been changed from Sept.29 to Oct 13????
She knows a few kids in the play and it it great! ( The dog steals the show!!!!)So check out the info if I am wrong please forgive me!!!!

Chuck Minsker said...

Hi Shirlee! I'll doublecheck on the air dates, but that was the time listed in at least one story I read. I know they plan to show it more than once, so perhaps that's the source of the confusion. Still, I'll look for more info.
Oh, don't forget, we'll be glad to include any photos or stories Macy wants to pass along of her experiences in New York! Thanks!

Chuck Minsker said...

OK, I'm back. I went to the Daily Variety website, and here's what it said about the airing of "Legally Blonde": << MTV could air the show up to six times in six weeks, with the network obligated for at least three runs. First airing is set for Sept. 29 at 1 p.m. >>
I believe they also have some "Behind the Scenes" footage they're going to include.

Len LaCara said...

Chuck:

I assume you'll have something to say about it, but we thought "Legally Blonde" was fabulous. (Except for those behind-the-scenes girls, who were -- Ohmigod! -- like, totally annoying.) I'm guessing the show will sell a bunch of tickets thanks to this broadcast.

There's a rebroadcast at 7 p.m. Sunday (Oct. 14) on MTV. There's a trailer you can embed, too.

Chuck Minsker said...

Thanks, Len! I haven't had a chance to watch the show yet (though I have it Tivo'd) so I'll definitely comment when I get caught up. (Things are a bit hectic right now.) What little I saw looked fantastic!