Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Assorted Notes

Just a few thoughts this weekend:

- My son Justin gave my lovely wife Jeanette and me a great Christmas present this year - tickets to see the Marshall Artists Series production of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Unfortunately, at the last minute I wasn't able to attend, so Linda, my wife's mom, got to see the show in my place. They both said it was a terrific show, with great music, but it was somewhat creepy - which tends to happen when you're seeing a show about one of history's most famous murderers. Still, I wish I could have seen it.

- Rehearsals continue for two First Stage shows - Charlotte's Web and Alexander, Who's Not Not Not Not Not Not Going to Move. It was something of a trick this week with all the snow cancellations, but luckily there's still time to make up that lost time. Hopefully the weather will cut us a break through the end of March.

- I spent some time at the First Stage storage facility this morning, where my pal Jack Welch had a small army of volunteer dads and moms and their kids working on the "Charlotte" set. It's not often you see people actually building a barn like that! It's going to be an awesome show!

- There are several good shows coming up in the month ahead, and I'll try to post a complete list by the beginning of the week. Between rehearsals, work parties and the real world, things have been hopping for ol' Chuck lately. Bear with me while I play catch-up!

4 comments:

Sanctuary said...

Chuck, We missed you at Sweeney Todd. We did run into Jeanette and Linda and talked with tehm a while. The show was great! (and hopefully people who make decisions about what shows to produce took notice of what looked to be a sellout crowd!) Dark, yes. Enjoyed by all? Obviously. The crowd reacted to a lot of scenes, laughed at the sparse dark humor, and furnished a thunderous standing ovation. I'm sorry you missed it, but the same touring group will be at The Clay Center in Charleston on March 12! Hope First Stage rehearsals are going well! -R

Sanctuary said...

P.S. The cast of "Jack the Ripper" and I will be in the studio recording highlights from the show this week. I'll keep you posted. Also, I'm performing 6 songs in a Valentine's Day concert with the WV Symphony next Saturday. I'll send you info on that. Something really cool and unexpected happened with the plans for the concert this week, too. More later. -R

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to see Sweeney, but you can have a second chance. Laura will play Mrs. Lovett the first two weekends in March, at Wright State University.

Chuck Minsker said...

Ryan and Denise, I hated to miss it - but hopefully I'll catch it in Charleston, or better yet, I'd love to see the show at Wright State! I'm still trying to figure out the schedule for it, since that's running during the last weeks of rehearsal (and load-in and tech week) for "Alexander." But I'm still hopeful it can be worked out.