Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Oscar Winners - Stephen's Choices

Here's the entry from my pal Stephen V., who takes an interesting tact - instead of trying to predict how the Academy members will vote, he says:
I'm picking my favorites, not who I really think is going to win.

1. Best motion picture of the year
- Slumdog Millionaire

2. Performance by an actor in a leading role
- Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon

3. Performance by an actor in a supporting role
- Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight

4. Performance by an actress in a leading role
- Kate Winslet in The Reader

5. Performance by an actress in a supporting role
- Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler

6. Best animated feature film of the year
- WALL-E

7. Achievement in visual effects
- The Dark Knight

8. Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
- Defiance

4 comments:

Jim Ross said...

Some of us don't get out much to see movies. If you want me to buy a ticket to see your movie, call it "Marvel Studios presents Harry Potter and the Star Trek Pixar."

Having said that, I saw "Bolt" in 3-D. I hated the 3-D, partly because you had to pay extra for the glasses. If I have to wait for "UP" to come out on DVD so I can see it without the glasses, I will. Hate 3-D, hate 3-D, hate 3-D.

I haven't seen many of the nominated roles, but I can't see how anyone can beat Heath Ledger. No one else can play Joker now, and the entire Batman franchise is weaker without him in reserve.

Chuck Minsker said...

Jim, I'm glad I wasn't taking a drink when I read the title of your dream movie, because I would have spit all over my computer monitor. That's because I, too, would stand in line to see that movie.

I go back and forth with 3-D. When it's really good, I love it. (Here I'm thinking of the Muppet 3-D Movie at the Disney / MGM Studios Theme Park.) Usually it's not that good.

Anonymous said...

Go see "Coraline" in 3-D. I think it'll fall in the "love it" column if you do.

Chuck Minsker said...

Melaine, thank for the recommendation - I've head some great things about "Coraline." I haven't seen a 3-D movie since my vision was corrected with Lasik surgery - it'll be interesting to see if the 3-D effect works better now.