Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, February 02, 2009

On Stage This Week - "Sweeney Todd"

A terrific show hits Huntington this week - the touring Broadway version of Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

You can learn more about the hit musical in this story by my pal Dave Lavender. Here's an excerpt:
At the age of 19, Wendy Muir has spent much of her life practicing cello and singing.

Up until a few months ago, the University of Illinois student, who is double majoring in computer science and vocal performance, wasn't sure if all that cello time was going to do anything more than impress friends on Facebook.

Of late, her secret weapon seems to have come in handy, as Muir is playing cello and singing her way across the country performing as part of the tour of the edgy, Tony-Award-winning Stephen Sondheim-penned musical, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

At 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 5, at the Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center, the Marshall Artists Series welcomes in the tour of the musical that goes down live on stage with 10 musicians and actors recreating the suspense of the 19th century story that stormed Broadway in 2005 and the theaters in 2007 in the Johnny Depp film.

Some tickets are available at $46 and $56.
It's a great show. Don't miss it!

5 comments:

Sanctuary said...

I am so there.

Unknown said...

Be forewarned. The touring revival is nothing like the recent movie, and that's a good thing.

Chuck Minsker said...

Ryan, you should be there. On stage, that is. ;-)

Denise, you're right - the stage show, thankfully, is true to the original stage show, not the heavily-altered version on the big screen. The movie wasn't bad, it was just... very different.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this same company will be the ones bringing the show to the Clay Center this spring.

While I liked John Doyle's staging of "Company" (saw the PBS broadcast last year) with the same idea of the actors doubling as orchestra, I'm not so sure about it with this show.

As for the movie? I have my share of quibbles, but there were also a lot of things that worked nicely.

Chuck Minsker said...

Melanie, I'm not sure, but I suspect it is the same company touring the show.

I had the same reservations about "Company" (a show that frankly I'm not too crazy about), but I'm told that in the production of "Sweeney," it works to great effect.

And I liked the movie, too, but I'm not crazy about the liberties it took with the musical.