Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oscar Winners - Chuck's Choices

Sunday the Oscar winners are announced, and there's still time to take part in our contest here at the Tri-State Theatre Blog!

The prize is bragging rights, so don't miss your chance! The categories are listed in this post.

Rather than put it off any longer, here are my choices:
1. Best motion picture of the year

- Slumdog Millionaire - I had to pick it. It's a great movie, and it's the only one of the nominees I've actually seen.

2. Performance by an actor in a leading role

- Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler - His is the kind of story Hollywood loves: riches to rags to riches again.

3. Performance by an actor in a supporting role

- Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight - A virtual lock, and well deserved. He was the best thing in The Dark Knight.

4. Performance by an actress in a leading role

- Kate Winslet in The Reader - No idea in this category, but I figure, why not?

5. Performance by an actress in a supporting role

- Amy Adams in Doubt - Just because I'm sweet on her (but don't tell my wife)!

6. Best animated feature film of the year

- WALL-E - If there were any justice, this movie would win the Best Picture category, too. But animated films are trapped in this limiting category. It's sad, really.

7. Achievement in visual effects

- Iron Man - Benjamin Button will win this, but I have to vote for my old pal Tony Stark. I knew him when.

8. Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

- Slumdog Millionaire - Just for the big musical number over the credits.

4 comments:

Jim Ross said...

As noted earlier, I don't get to see many movies, but I agree about Wall-E. It was a great movie. The first half especially was terrific.

But it wasn't dark enough, I guess.

By the way, my son has the Dark Knight DVD, and sometimes I just watch the Heath Ledger scenes. Since Leonard Nimoy defined Spock, I haven't seen an actor shape a role so much.

But as I said, I don't get out much.

Chuck Minsker said...

Jim, I agree about both "Wall-E" and "The Dark Knight" - and I do think it'll be a long time before anyone else can tackle the Joker role. Even more impressive when you consider what a mark Jack Nicholson made with the '80s version.

But like you, I don't get out much - after all, I've only seen one of the films nominated for Best Picture (Slumdog). Other than that, I saw "Iron Man," "Dark Knight" and "Wall-E" and not much else. I see a definite theme running through my choices. If only there had been a Harry Potter movie this year...

Anonymous said...

1. Best motion picture of the year

- Milk or Frost/Nixon- This year being such a huge political affair and all I feel on of these stand a chance

2. Performance by an actor in a leading role

- Sean Penn- Huge undertaking and heard he did great

3. Performance by an actor in a supporting role

- Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight - A no Brainer

4. Performance by an actress in a leading role

- Meryl Streep- She always delivers a great performance. Tough group to win.

5. Performance by an actress in a supporting role

- Penelope Cruz- Why not

6. Best animated feature film of the year

- WALL-E - OF COURSE!!!!

7. Achievement in visual effects
- Benjamin Button

8. Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

- Wall-E- Its just all arounf good. I see this film winning maybe three awards

9 Best Make-Up- HellBoy 2

10. Best Animated Short Film
Presto!!!!

I added some chuck

Chuck Minsker said...

Zach, Thanks for the entries. I agree with you about "Presto," by the way - a terrific animated short film!