Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Look Back at 2009

Before 2009 ends, let's take a moment to look back at some (though not all) of the great community theatre shows and performances that lit up the stage this past year!

Of course, I wasn't able to see all the shows in the Tri-State this year - I'm only one man, after all - so these are my personal highlights, and you're welcome to send along yours, gentle reader. Either click the comment button at the bottom of this post, or send an email to TheMinskers@aol.com.

My impulse is always to list these as a "Top 10" list, but that's not really fair, since I'm the president of First Stage Theatre and would naturally be inclined to put those shows at the top of the list (or not put them at the top in an attempt at being fair) - so I'll stay away from that impulse. But I will list a best performer of the year - how's that?

Let's tackle them in chronological order. Here goes:

One of the first shows I saw this year was Bitsy, Boots... and Ida, a show staged by the First United Methodist Church in February. Written by Jonathan Joy, it's the latest chapter in a series of stories about two cantankerous sisters, their visiting nephew, his fiancee, and another intrusive family member. It's was a true delight - funny, with lots of local references and clever plot twists. They're working on a new story for this February - I can't wait!

In March I saw First Stage Theatre's Charlotte's Web, a wonderful version of the classic story about a little pig and his friendship with a clever spider. I was so impressed with this production - it was outstanding in every way!

At the end of March was a show I'm totally biased about... because I was the director. Alexander, Who's Not Not Not Not Not Not Going To Move was a funny, fast-moving musical that featured a terrific, talented young cast (most of whom you'll be seeing again in the upcoming Peanuts musicals next March). I also have to give special kudos to our lone adult in the show, Travis McElroy, who played numerous parts, was hilarious in each one, and also served as a great mentor to those young actors. I'm so proud of the great job by the cast and crew!

In April Marshall's Department of Theatre presented Epic Proportions, a very funny play about the 1930s-era production of a big-budget movie in the desert, and the brothers who try to break into show business. It was very funny and featured a fantastic cast, led by Chuck Hearndon, one of the best actors (comic or otherwise) around.

Despite a hectic summer, in August I saw the Charleston Light Opera Guild's production of Rent, the beloved Broadway musical. It was an amazing production with an incredibly talented cast, terrific production values and a great soundtrack. Definitely one of the area's best productions this year. Special kudos to Ryan Hardiman and Nathan Mohebbi - they knocked it out of the park!

October featured two great shows, each at opposite ends of the scale. I Ought To Be In Pictures was presented by ARTS, and featured a small cast telling the funny story of an estranged father and the daughter who tracks him down in Hollywood. Written by Neil Simon, the show was a star turn for the wonderful Alissa Fetherolf as the daughter, Clint McElroy as the grumpy but loveable Dad, and Leann Haines as the Dad's long-suffering girlfriend. A real delight!

The other show that month was a big musical production of the classic Man of La Mancha, which is based on the book Don Quixote. It was an amazing production with stunning performances by Ryan Hardiman in the title role, Marina Jurica as Dulcinea and Mike Murdock as Sancho Panza. A top-flight production all around!

November brought First Stage Theatre's Into the Woods, the beloved Sondheim musical that combines several fairy tales into a modern tale of love and loss. Featuring an all-star cast of First Stage veterans, it was an outstanding show, and one that would also be in the running for the best show of the year (along with Rent and La Mancha) if I were playing that game.

The last show I saw this year was the one-man production of A Christmas Carol, with Jack Cirillo playing the part of Charles Dickens, who is touring the country doing readings of his famous story - but he's lost his copy of the book, so he has to recreate the story from memory, playing all the parts involved. It was an amazing show, and also in the running for the best of the year.

So I saw lots of great shows and lots of great performances. It's tough to single one out - there are so many great ones to choose from! But I have to admit that the one that impressed me the most was... Jack Cirillo's one-man version of A Christmas Carol. It was amazing to watch - masterful, involving, funny, touching - his performance covered all the bases.

Whew! A great year of shows - and those are just the ones I saw. I urge you to get out there and support your community theatre groups in 2010 - they do amazing work, the ticket prices are (relatively) cheap, and you'll see performances you'll never forget!

Oh, one more thing - Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Bil Neal said...

I agree with your opinions in general, may I submit a few thoughts of my own?

LEAD ACTOR Jeremy Plyburn in Charley's Aunt (hysterical, amazing physical humor)and Clint McElroy in I Ought To Be In Pictures (the best work I've seen from him ever--and that says a lot).

LEAD ACTRESS Marina Jurica in South Pacific (Charlest Light Opera Guild), and Alissa Fetherolf in I Ought To Be In Pictures (small cast, short run, but one of the best things I saw onstage in 2009).

SUPPORTING ACTOR Mike Murdock in Man of LaMancha (Fifth Ave) and Nathan Mohebbi in Rent (CLOG). (special nod to Mark Near in Guys & Dolls at Portsmouth Little Theatre)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS Erika Lawson in Waiting for Lefty (MU)and both Jessica Maier and Kerri Easter in All Shook Up (HOT)

Chuck Minsker said...

Bil, All excellent suggestions - you'll get no argument from me!

Stephen Vance said...

You guys are doing such a great job covering the local stuff, I thought I'd mention a couple of the bigger shows I've seen this past year.

Early in the year a group of us went to see The Drowsy Chaperone on its national tour at the Paramount in Ashland. When I saw it in NYC a couple of years ago it became one of my favorites, and this great touring version reminded me why. Its a laugh a minutes and has great musical numbers.

In the spring, I saw The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at the Keith Albee as part of the Marshall Artists Series and it was hilarious, and it had some great heart as well. It was also fun seeing our own Clint McElroy up on stage as a guest speller.

I made a trip to NYC in the summer and saw In the Heights and Next to Normal. In the Heights blew me away. It didn't stop from start to finish. It is one of the most fascinating and entertaining shows I've ever seen, and now it is on national tour. I didn't know what to expect from Next to Normal, and I'm glad. It is a brilliantly crafted story with good modern music and a very tight cast.

The moral of this story for your readers. Get out and see stuff. I've seen a ton of community shows and the travelling stuff in the past year, and I'm enriched and entertained every time I do. Catch every local show you can, and when shows tour through Ashland, Charleston, and Huntington check those out too. You'll be glad you did!

Chuck Minsker said...

Stephen, thanks for the comments, and I agree with your sentiments - there are lots of great shows out there to see.

I saw "Chaperone" in Ashland and loved it, and had seen "Spelling Bee" twice before and enjoyed it, too!

Mel Larch said...

For my money, the best of the lot was the premiere of Dan Kehde's "Shadowman" by the Contemporary Youth Arts Company this past July. Dark & gritty with subtle moments of humor & compassion, it was masterfully performed by a talented young cast featuring Evan Wilson, Nik Tidquist, Michelle Spencer, & Madeline Ranson.

It's rare to find a company with so much diversity in their shows, but CYAC is definitely one of those rare breeds. And there are some very talented young performers among their ranks. I'm sure we'll see more good things from them this year.