Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, January 01, 2010

Bil Names His Choices for the Best of 2009

Happy New Year, theatre fans!

I invited readers to send in their opinions about the best shows and performances from 2009, and my pal Bil Neal sent along his choices.

He wrote:
I agree with your opinions in general, may I submit a few thoughts of my own? (Chuck writes: Of course!)

LEAD ACTOR - Jeremy Plyburn in Charley's Aunt (hysterical, amazing physical humor) and Clint McElroy in I Ought To Be In Pictures (the best work I've seen from him ever - and that says a lot).

LEAD ACTRESS - Marina Jurica in South Pacific (Charleston Light Opera Guild), and Alissa Fetherolf in I Ought To Be In Pictures (small cast, short run, but one of the best things I saw onstage in 2009).

SUPPORTING ACTOR - Mike Murdock in Man of La Mancha (5th Ave) and Nathan Mohebbi in Rent (CLOG). (Special nod to Mark Near in Guys & Dolls at Portsmouth Little Theatre.)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Erika Lawson in Waiting for Lefty (MU) and both Jessica Maier and Kerri Easter in All Shook Up (HOT).
Excellent choices, Bil!

5 comments:

Shelly said...

I definitely agree with most these choices. Clint Mcelroy was fantastic in I Ought to be in pictures. I also feel Ryan Hardiman deserves a mention for Man of La Mancha and RENT. Nathan Mohebbi, his cast mate, deserves praise as well for one of the best performances I've seen in West Virginia for his role in RENT. I didn't get to see Marshall productions, but I'm sure they were great as well!

Anonymous said...

This past year was filled with so many great shows. I am not sure how 2010 will fair against it however with the already known shows it seems to be shaping to be a great year as well. I have been to many shows this past year and have several people that I want topoint out. First The Three shows I think were the best of the year are, Rent, Bitsy Boots and Ida, and Blood Brothers the Musical. All three made me laugh and cry. Now onto three great actresses for the year. well first there is a dou that can't be matched any better Loretta Hetzer and Jane Morse-Bitsy Boots and Ida. These two cammend your attention. They are fantastic. Third Leigh-Anne Hianes. he does very little on stage any more which is a shame with her amount of talent. Her role in I ought to be in Pictures was fantastic. Honerable Mentions Becky Pain-Bitsy Boots and Ida. she was that cranky cousin. Maurina Jerica-South Pacific. just another soild performance. Now to the men First off of course Ryan Hardimen-Man of Lamancha. He always has solid performances and is always a treat to see. Next Nathan Mohebbi-Rent He really shined and I dare say was born for the role of Angel. Now last but not least Zach Davis-Blood Brothers. He truely connected with the audience and made you feel his pain. I also have a pick for speacil event of the year. The Guns and Hoses Beneifit. Loaded with talent. Such as Ryan,Zach,Marina,Danny Ray,Mary Olsen,Jennifer Scott and so many more. It was a terriffic evening and was a riot and joy to watch.
Now I wanna add one more thing I want to pick a Breakthrough actor of the year. I choice I young man who has been in community theatrefor years and generally does bit roles. In those roles however he commands any audiences attention. This past year he had the audience convinced as a farmer and a father. A 70 year old accident prone politician, nd a 7 year old who grew up addicted to pills. His ability as an actor and singer just keeps getting stronger. He has never disappointed an audience. This young man is none other than Zach Davis. He is the one to watch in 2010!

Zach Davis said...

I just want to add the sad news that Shrek is no longer on the great stage...I am really sad was so great to see it though

zach davis said...

wow thank you mr anon. that is really nice to hear someone say. I dont think of my slef as a great performer. I just do it for the love of the theatre. Thank you again

Chuck Minsker said...

Zach, that Anon is a good egg - he (or she) says the nicest things!

And Anon, thanks for sending along your choices for "best of the year" - much appreciated!