Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Mel Names Her Favorites for 2009!

We invited readers to send along their own choices for the best shows and performances of 2009, and my pal Mel Larch sent along these comments:
For my money, the best of the lot was the premiere of Dan Kehde's Shadowman by the Contemporary Youth Arts Company this past July.

Dark and gritty with subtle moments of humor and compassion, it was masterfully performed by a talented young cast featuring Evan Wilson, Nik Tidquist, Michelle Spencer and Madeline Ranson.

It's rare to find a company with so much diversity in their shows, but CYAC is definitely one of those rare breeds. And there are some very talented young performers among their ranks. I'm sure we'll see more good things from them this year.
Mel, I couldn't agree more - CYAC does great work, and I look forward to seeing what the group has up its collective sleeve for 2010!

4 comments:

Mel Larch said...

Thanks, Chuck. CYAC's next production is Bertolt Brecht's "Galileo". Will send you some more information on it soon.

Levi Kelley said...

Okay I have to say my Favorite Acotr this yer s definatly Ryan Hardiamn, His performance in Man Of LaMancha gave me CHILLS. and in RENT he along with Beth winkler as Mimi had me crying. My choice for best Actress is definatly Jessica Maier for her performance in All Shook Up. Such a strong presence and her comedic ability was Awesome. Best comedic actor had to be Stephanie Cook in ACTC's production of "A Little Night Music". Her portrayal of the Countess Carl-Magnum had me rolling in the aisles, yet feeling sorry for her at the same time. Such a strong performance. THose are my Favorites for this year. Oh, as well as Maggie Saunders in "Into The Woods" Great Job on such an iconic role as The Witch.

Chuck Minsker said...

Thanks, Mel!

Levi, thanks for your list - I'll post it on the main page!

Anonymous said...

As a local theatre junkie and loyal audience member for years, here's my two cents:

I watched Nathan Mohebbi go from Aladdin in HOT's pre-show to Angel in Rent...talk about a "whole new world!" All I can say is WOW!!! Phenomenal performance. The entire cast and show of RENT was topnotch.

I had not had the privilege of seeing Marina Jurica on stage until Man of La Mancha. Her performance left me with chills and tears. She was breathtaking.

As for Into the Woods...I was looking forward to watching Maggie Saunders as the Witch. I knew she would rock the house, and she did; but what an all star cast. Sarah Hayes made me laugh and cry; Mary Kate was beautiful as Cinderal, the princes were hysterical, but it was Eric Newfeld's sweet and tender performance as the Baker that touched my heart. Just an outstanding show overall.

Thank you to all the people both behind the scenes on on stage in our tri-state area who work so hard to provide such wonderful, wonderful quality entertainment each season. Looking forward to the 2010 season!

Lisa Williams