Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Stephen Talks About Touring Shows

My pal Stephen Vance sends along this comment about touring Broadway shows (and the real deal) and he has some advice for all of us:
You guys are doing such a great job covering the local stuff, I thought I'd mention a couple of the bigger shows I've seen this past year.

Early in the year a group of us went to see The Drowsy Chaperone on its national tour at the Paramount in Ashland. When I saw it in NYC a couple of years ago it became one of my favorites, and this great touring version reminded me why. It's a laugh a minute and has great musical numbers.

In the spring, I saw The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at the Keith Albee as part of the Marshall Artists Series and it was hilarious, and it had some great heart as well. It was also fun seeing our own Clint McElroy up on stage as a guest speller.

I made a trip to NYC in the summer and saw In the Heights and Next to Normal. In the Heights blew me away. It didn't stop from start to finish. It is one of the most fascinating and entertaining shows I've ever seen, and now it is on national tour. I didn't know what to expect from Next to Normal, and I'm glad. It is a brilliantly crafted story with good modern music and a very tight cast.

The moral of this story for your readers: Get out and see stuff. I've seen a ton of community shows and the traveling stuff in the past year, and I'm enriched and entertained every time I do. Catch every local show you can, and when shows tour through Ashland, Charleston and Huntington, check those out too. You'll be glad you did!

No comments: