Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Huntington Symphony Announce Ellis Island Performance on Feb. 13

Here's one to mark on your calendar - a concert you won't want to miss! You can read about it at the Herald-Dispatch's site here, and here's an excerpt:
The Huntington Symphony Orchestra announced that on Feb. 13 they will perform Ellis Island: Dream of America.

Accompanying the orchestra will Beth McVey, Clint McElroy, Bil Neal and Amy Knell. Tickets are on sale now by phone at 304-781-8343, online at huntingtonsymphony.org or the HSO administration offices, 763 Third Ave., Huntington.

Ellis Island: The Dream of America was born out of Peter Boyer’s fascination with the relationship between history and music.

“I'm drawn to good stories - especially stories which come from the past but are relevant to the present - and as an orchestral composer, I'm intrigued by the potential of the orchestra as a storytelling medium,” Boyer said.

America is a nation of immigrants, and our immigrant history is a profound part of our American mythology. In the history of American immigration, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are icons of immense significance.

“When I decided to create a work about Ellis Island, I knew that I wanted to combine spoken word with the orchestra,” Boyer said.

2 comments:

Bil Neal said...

C'mon, Chuck. Just because Hogan Haas doesn't know how to spell my name--I thought you'd catch it.
I called my Dad (Bill Neal)he confirmed that he is Not performing with the symphony. It's me, Chuck. Bil (with one "L") I laughed when I saw hundreds of posters all over town with my name spelled wrong, but can ya throw me a bone here?

;)

Chuck Minsker said...

ACK! That's what I get for cutting-and-pasting! Sorry about that, Bil - it has been corrected.

Mea Culpa!