Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Chuck's "Best of 2010" List

In looking back at 2010 I'm amazed at how many shows I didn't get to see. I only made it to 10 shows this year - about half my normal number.

So I don't feel I have any right to hand out awards for the "Best of the Year" performances or shows. But I will talk about what I did see - in order of appearance.

The first show I saw this year was the delightful Bitsy, Boots and Friends in February. It's the third in the series of plays starring the cantankerous sisters as written by Jonathan Joy. It's become an annual Valentine's production for First United Methodist Church. ("Come for the dinner, stay for the great show.") The shows are hilarious, the actors are wonderful - it's become a tradition in our household, and I'm looking forward to their 2011 offering!

March brought with it two wonderful shows, as First Stage Theatre Company celebrated its 20th Anniversary by bringing back its first show - You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown - and adding the sequel, Snoopy! The Musical, just for good measure. Both shows were terrific, with amazing casts. The young actors in those shows are loaded with talent, and did a wonderful job of bringing those shows to life. I wish I could buy the soundtrack to their version!

In April things were a little different, as (for the first time in 10 years) I was part of a show on stage. I had a small role in 5th Avenue's production of Camelot, and while I admit to being prejudiced, I think it was a terrific show - and most of the credit goes to the lead actors: Mark Baker as King Arthur, Marina Jurica as Queen Guenevere, Todd Preston as Sir Lancelot, and Danny Ray as Pellinor. The show had a great supporting cast, too, and it was a heck of a lot of fun to be part of the show. I highly recommend getting involved in local theatre!

In May I actually saw two shows. First Stage tackled its first original play with Jonathan Joy's The First Day of Summer, a touching story about two young people who meet in the woods and find their lives are changed forever.

The other show I saw in May was the only show I saw in Charleston this year: Courting Disaster, an original musical comedy set in a courtroom. It was a lot of fun and clever as can be, and it was great to see my pal Mel Larch having so much fun playing the conniving Judge.

September brought another terrific show - First Stage's James and the Giant Peach, as directed by Jonathan Joy (he's everywhere)! A fantastic cast, a great story and a fun show - I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

ARTS brought a show to life in August that I hadn't seen before - Will Rogers Follies - and they did an amazing job with it. The cast was terrific - special kudos to Stephen Vance for being able to do all those lines while twirling a rope, to Jane Modlin, who sang so beautifully (without falling down all those stairs), and to Jim Lamp, for stealing every scene he was in. A great show - if I were naming a "Best Show of the Year," this would be in the running.

So would The Good Doctor, presented by Marshall University in November. Apparently when you combine Neil Simon and Anton Chekhov you get an amazingly funny show. It doesn't hurt that the cast was terrific, with Chuck Heardon absolutely killing as a ladies' man.

I enjoyed all the shows on the list, but the last show I saw for the year was probably my favorite (though it was a close call with so many outstanding shows on the list). First Stage's Once Upon a Mattress featured a terrific cast, great costumes and set, wonderful songs, and a very funny show. The young actors were amazing! The directing team (led by Amy Browning) had to overcome some major hurdles to get this show done, and the final product was a real delight!

(And yes, I admit to being prejudiced, since I'm on the First Stage board - all I can say is, feel free to make your own list and I'll print it here!)

There are lots of shows I regret missing - Pirates of Penzance, Jack Cirillo's performance of A Christmas Carol, Barnum, Mary, White Christmas, 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Dreamgirls - it was a season filled with great shows! Hopefully next year will be likewise, and time will permit me to see more of them.

As always, send along your list of favorites from the part year - send the to me at TheMinskers@aol.com and I'll post it here.

Oh, one more thing: Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: