Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Zach Davis' "Best of 2010"

Here's my pal Zach Davis with his contribution to our "Best of the Year" feature.

He writes:
Well, first off this year has been a rather interesting one to say the least. Theatre-wise I did catch a few great shows and, well, Aiden decided when I saw too many (LOL) but I have a few highlights from the year I would like to mention.

Last Spring I landed my second lead in a row over at ACTC in Copacabana. It also was the largest singing lead I have ever had and I was truly thankful for the opportunity. I also won an award for that performance but most importantly I learned the news that Allison and I were going to have a baby!

Now who can forget the great Liza Minelli performance! We had such a blast at her concert.

I along with Allison also had the chance to see the tour of Best Imitation in the Charleston Festiv-all line-up. Although it was short and ended, well, suddenly, it was a nice piece. The local author did a very good job and several great performers were in it.

I had the honor to be the technical director for I Love you, You"re Perfect, Now Change! I was the lucky one who got to actually put a functioning set in the ballroom of the ARTS building. So I was the guinea pig as one may say who paved the way and made it easier for those after me. I basically showed them what didn't work (LOL). However I loved every minute of it and loved touring to the Alban Theatre in St. Albans.

This year I made my directorial debut with Steel Magnolias! I feel that I along with my team at 5th Avenue Theatre Company had a great success on our hands and man, did that cast rock! The cast was so supportive in my family's time of need when our son Aiden came six weeks early into this world and later got sick and was transferred to Cincinnati, making me miss the final weekend and close of my first show. Aiden had surgery the morning of the final performance. I can't stress enough how much that cast and crew meant to us. That show also introduced some new talent, brought back some former Marshall actors and showed some more talent of veterans. May I also add that I brought some new faces to work behind the scenes from Ashland who built my set and I was super thankful and blessed to have them.

Allison and I were planning on attending Baby at ARTS but after we saw half the show during tech week so I could learn the plot our Son felt he needed to be born the next day! Kind of ironic really.

While in Cincinnati we did have a few chances in the evening to get out and clear our heads a little. We won tickests to see Disney on Ice Princesses! We even had box suite seats. The show was a great spectacle and very entertaining for all the families in attendance. The special effects were awesome. Also we got to see Evil Dead the Musical at the Falcon Theatre in Newport. It was so amazing and funny. We really needed to laugh that hard after what all we went through. The actors were outstanding and the producer sat right behind us. We were told that every show sold out at least a day before each performance and therefore they extended the run for an extra week. The show also featured a splash zone for those who wished to be sprayed with the fake blood. Allison wouldn't let me (LOL). It was a great way to spend Halloween night.

Finally I must add that being able to perform in White Christmas was an honor considering we spent 90 percent of the rehearsal period in Cincinnati. The show was so good and everyone was again so supportive and it was awesome to Have Allison carry our son Aiden in a few scenes! That marked his stage debut at only three months old. This year has just been a roller coaster for me and my family. Hopefully next year we will be able to get out to see more shows and from what I know, there sounds like some great plays coming up!

No comments: