Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Winners

I toyed with the idea of live-blogging the Oscar Awards last night, but then I realized that I'd only seen one of the movies nominated for Best Picture (Juno, which I highly recommend), so what do I know? But since I listed the nominees in this post, I should follow up with last night's winners. Here ya go:
Complete list of winners at the 80th annual Academy Awards, presented Sunday night at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles:

Best Motion Picture: No Country for Old Men

Lead Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood

Lead Actress:
Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose

Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men

Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

Director:
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men

Foreign Language Film: The Counterfeiters (Austria)

Adapted Screenplay: Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men

Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, Juno

Animated Feature Film: Ratatouille

Art Direction:
Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Cinematography: There Will Be Blood

Sound Mixing:
The Bourne Ultimatum

Sound Editing:
The Bourne Ultimatum

Original Score: Atonement, Dario Marianelli

Original Song:
"Falling Slowly" from Once, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

Costume: Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Documentary Feature: Taxi to the Dark Side

Documentary Short Subject: Freeheld

Film Editing: The Bourne Ultimatum

Makeup: La Vie en Rose

Animated Short Film: Peter & the Wolf

Live Action Short Film: Le Mozart des Pickpockets (`The Mozart of Pickpockets')

Visual Effects: The Golden Compass



Academy Award winners previously announced this year:

Honorary and technical Oscars: Robert Boyle; Eastman Kodak Co.; David A. Grafton

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

6 comments:

Sanctuary said...

YES! My favorite actor is Daniel Day Lewis, so I was overjoyed that he was awarded best male actor! I thought Jon Stewart was a great host, too. They should bring him back next year.

-Ryan

Chuck Minsker said...

Ryan, I absolutely agree about Daniel - he's an amazing actor. But I still think "Ratatouille" should have been named Best Picture, not just Best Animated Picture. But that's just me.

Evan Minsker said...

I honestly was pulling for "Persepolis." "Ratatouille" was definitely my favorite Pixar movie, but I guess it would be nice to see A) a foreign animated film win the category and B) see Pixar lose this one for once.

My favorite moment was when Jon Stewart brought Marketa Irglova back on stage to give her part of the speech since they cut her off.

I'm also happy to see that "No Country for Old Men" cleaned up - the scariest movie I've ever seen - and that Diablo Cody got the Oscar for best original screenplay for "Juno." Well worth it.

Not bad, over all.

Chuck Minsker said...

Evan, I still haven't seen "Persepolis," though I'm really looking forward to it. And Pixar has lost at least once - "Monsters, Inc." lost to the first "Shrek" movie, if you can believe it - that's assuming I'm remembering correctly.

I was also thrilled to see the best song go to the movie "Once" - an outstanding film you recommended to me, right?

Anonymous said...

I ran into Glen and Marketa the couple that won the Oscar for best song at a record store yesterday. Very nice people. And I'm glad that they brought Marketa back to give her speech because in my opinion, hers was the best one of the night.

Chuck Minsker said...

Whitney, I absolutely agree - and very cool that you got to meet them. If anyone out there hasn't seen it, I highly recommend the movie "Once" - it's a "small" movie but it's very good, and the music is great!