Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, February 08, 2008

That Other Show That's Available Soon

Oh, I said I'd tell you about the other show that's available soon - one that, unlike Sweeney Todd: School Edition and Rent: School Edition, I have to admit that I might (emphasis on the MIGHT) be interested in directing.

Music Theatre International just announced last week that a certain show is going to be available for the first time this fall. You may have heard of it: High School Musical 2.

I'm on the fence with this one. Readers who've been following along for a while will remember that I directed the First Stage Theatre Company production of High School Musical in November, and it was a terrific experience. It's tempting to try to catch lightning in a bottle again, but that's something the board of First Stage will have to decide. The show was a big undertaking, and this one would be likewise.

And there's some debate over whether or not the second edition was really as good as the first - it's always tough to be the sequel of a huge hit, after all. But HSM2 does have some good musical numbers. So we'll see what happens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it had to be coming sometime! I never thought it would come so soon though!

I must say, it will be interesting to see a stage version developed from the second movie.

If not First Stage, I do hope some theatre company puts on a production...I'd love to reprise my role in HSM2...Ryan has some great moments!!!

-josh

Chuck Minsker said...

Josh, I agree - I'm surprised they're making this one available so soon - but I guess they want to capitalize on the success of the HSM franchise. The second show is certainly a good one for Ryan, since he gets to be even more of a good guy. Who knows? It could happen...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Josh. It will be interseting to see the staging of it. I would love to be Gabriella again. I say Huntington does HSM2 before Charleston and Ashland do it. What a senior show that would be!

-Angela

Chuck Minsker said...

Angela, First Stage is now discussing what shows to tackle next season, so if you and Josh and any other First Stage alumni want to see HSM2 produced next year, I'd advise you to start lobbying for it right now. Like, today. Send emails and make your voice heard!

Talk to your friends, let the First Stage board members know how you all feel - because once the season is set it's tough to make changes. Good luck!