Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Hope all you dads out there are having a Happy Father's Day!

I like to take time on this day to remember my dad, Walt Minsker, who passed away 10 years ago (a fact I still find impossible to believe). He was a great dad and a great friend, and not a day goes by when I don't think about him. He was born and raised in Charleston (his home was located approximately on the same spot as the Civic Center's basketball court), he served in the Navy during World War II, and returned home to build a life. He worked for decades as a salesman for Appalachian Power, raised four boys and provided an excellent example of how to be a great dad.

I also want to remember my father-in-law, Jack Rowsey, who's also been gone for several years. He was a delight to be around, sharp and funny as can be. He was a wonderful grandfather to my two sons, doting on them and teasing them mercilessly (which is every grandpa's sworn duty).

I like to think my brothers and I are continuing my dad's tradition of being a good dad. My younger brother Eric is raising three kids - two girls and a boy - and doing a fantastic job. My next-oldest brother Bill raised two kids - a daughter and a son - and they turned out great and are enjoying success in the real world (and that's every parent's dream). My oldest brother Mike passed away a few years ago, but he raised one terrific son, Marc, who just became a dad himself this year, and even though he's only been at it for four months, he's doing a great job - he's a natural!

So here's to all the dads out there, tackling the toughest and most rewarding job you'll ever be lucky enough to land. Have a great one!

No comments: