Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Tony Predictions

Now I get to show how little I know about Broadway by offering my predictions for the Tony Awards (although I should probably say that I'm offering my "wild guesses" - "prediction" implies I know what I'm talking about).

My choices:

Best Play - August: Osage County

Best Musical - Cry-Baby (mostly because the headlines will be great - "No Tony Tears for Cry-Baby")

Best Book of a Musical - In The Heights

Best Original Score Written for the Theatre - The Little Mermaid (they have to give this one something)

Best Revival of a Play - Boeing-Boeing (because I like the poster)

Best Revival of a Musical
- Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific (I was never that crazy about this show, but apparently I'm the only one)

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play
- Laurence Fishburne, Thurgood (much as I hate to go against Patrick Stewart, who will probably win)

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play - S. Epatha Merkerson, Come Back, Little Sheba (because she has the best name)

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical - Daniel Evans, Sunday in the Park with George

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical - Patti LuPone, Gypsy (a virtual shoe-in)

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play - Raul Esparza, The Homecoming (a shot in the dark here)

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play - Rondi Reed, August: Osage County (when in doubt, go with alliteration)

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical - Christopher Fitzgerald, The New Mel Brooks Musical Young Frankenstein ('cause he deserves it and the show was largely snubbed)

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical - Loretta Ables Sayre, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific (yet another wild guess)

Best Scenic Design of a Play - August: Osage County

Best Scenic Design of a Musical - Young Frankenstein

Best Costume Design of a Play
- Cyrano de Bergerac (always vote for the guy with the biggest nose)

Best Costume Design of a Musical - Gypsy

Best Lighting Design of a Play - Macbeth

Best Lighting Design of a Musical - The Little Mermaid

Best Sound Design of a Play - Rock 'n' Roll

Best Sound Design of a Musical - Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific

Best Direction of a Play - Anna D. Shapiro, August: Osage County

Best Direction of a Musical
- Bartlett Sher, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific

Best Choreography - Dan Knechtges, Xanadu

Best Orchestrations - Alex Lacamoire & Bill Sherman, In The Heights


And that's it! Since these are almost all wild guesses, don't be surprised if I miss 'em all - but we'll see how it shakes out Sunday night!

Be sure to vote by 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, and I'll tally the results and we'll see which of you wins the non-existent title of "Best Tony Predictor!" Break a leg!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Chuck, I thought I'd take you up on the Tony pics. Here we go...
-Best Play: August: Osage County
-Best Musical: In The Heights
-Best Book of Musical: In the Heights
-Original Score: Passing Strange
-Revival (Play): Macbeth
-Revival (Musical): South Pacific
-Best Actor (Play): Patrick Stewart; Macbeth
-Best Actress (Play): Deanna Dunagan; August
-Best Actor (Musical): Lin-Manuel Miranda; In The Heights
-Best Actress (Musical): Patti LuPone; Gypsy
-Featured Actor (Play): Conleth Hill; The Seafarer
-Featured Actress (Play): Rondi Reed; August
-Featured Actor (Musical): Christopher Fitsgerald; YF
-Featured Actress (Musical): Laura Benanti; Gypsy
-Scenic Design (Play): August
-Scenic Design (Musical): In The Heights
-Costume (Play): Cyrano
-Costume (Musical): South Pacific
-Lighting (Play): Macbeth
-Lighting (Musical): Sunday in the Park with George
-Sound (Play): Rock n' Roll
-Sound (Musical): In The Heights
-Direction (Play): August
-Direstion (Musical): In The Heights
-Choreography: Xanadu
-Orchestrations: Sunday in the Park with George

I was lucky enough to see a lot of these shows, but I don't think that will help my predictions. I think I'm going to be around 70% right...Nick Reynolds

Chuck Minsker said...

Excellent choices, Nick! And congratulations on your scholarship to Penn State - you're going to be doing your Post-Graduate studies there, right? Awesome!

If you get time, drop me a line at TheMinskers@aol.com and tell me more about it, so I can brag on you yet again!

Anonymous said...

Great...now I'm going to be behind THREE humans and a chicken!

Chuck Minsker said...

Mark, don't be so sure - I still think I have a good shot at last place!

Unknown said...

Ok, I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to have to change a few of my pics. If it's against the rules, I understand...
-Revival (Play): Boeing-Boeing
-Actor (Play): Mark Rylance
-Featured Actor (Play): Jim Norton

By all means, throw these out if need be! I'm guna send you an email about the Penn State stuff, and thank you for the fantastic things you've written about me for years now...

Chuck Minsker said...

Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules! Hey, change all you want (until the broadcast actually starts, that is) - I'm tempted to change a few of mine, but I figure, what the heck.