Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Q & A with author Paul Deines

One of the authors being showcased at Thursday's New Works Festival is Paul Dienes. He was nice enough to take part in an email interview and give us a preview of his work. Here 'tis:

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

PAUL: I was born and raised in Louisville, Ky. When I was 16, I wrote my first play, a one-act called Five Characters that, after a considerable amount of prodding, was performed in spaces around the city as part of a library drama-works program. I studied theatre at the University of Evansville, and have since worked in theatres in Indiana, Florida, Massachusetts, New York and numerous other places on a national tour last year. I’m currently living in Harlem, so it’s great to be back a little closer to my old stomping ground, if only for a week.

Q: You're presenting your work titled Things Get Done - what's it about?


PAUL: Well, by and large, it’s about revolution in America. Generally, we only talk about the one in the 18th century, but my play explores the moments in the 20th century – the Depression and the Vietnam era – where this country was on the verge of civil revolt. All this is explored from the viewpoint of a fictional uprising in modern-day New York. And, it’s funny, too. For the record.

Q: What was the inspiration for this story?

PAUL: A big part of it came from my mother. She’s been an involved lefty from way back. It’s in her blood. Her father was a labor organizer in California during the Red Scare. She always talks about the revolution coming in her lifetime, and I’ve felt in the last few years a certain embarrassment at the lack of civil engagement in my generation. Of course, I think in recent months, that has changed. Either way, this work is sort of an answer to the conversations I’ve had with her.

Q: How do you feel about being part of the New Works Festival?

PAUL: It really puts it out there, warts and all. You go in wondering how it will sound on its feet, and you’re always in for some toe-curling moments. I owe quite a bit to Jack Cirillo. When I sent him my first draft, it was a mess of ideas that went nowhere. He had faith that an actual story would come out of there. But, at this moment, I’m feeling pretty good about the progress made.

Q: Any advice for aspiring writers?

PAUL: Two things:

1) You have to make your own opportunities to get your work heard. It’s a saturated industry, and people won’t care unless you shove it right in front of them.

2) Read about the world. The only way to keep your work fresh and relevant is to stay actively informed about the state of the world.

Thanks, Paul!

A reminder that the festival starts Thursday at 8:00 p.m. in the Francis Booth Experimental Theatre of the Joan C. Edwards Playhouse at Marshall University. Each evening’s readings will be followed by a discussion/question and answer session with the playwright, director and cast.

No comments: