Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Last Chance to Catch the New Works Festival

Tonight is the final performance in the New Works Festival 2009.

Best Imitation is a musical written by Jeremy Richter, and directed by my pal Bruce Rous (who also directed last night's show).

We asked Bruce to tell us about his experience working on the Festival, and here's what he had to say:
This is my first year to be involved, and it really is thrilling. I have the honor of directing Clint McElroy's show, and Jeremy Richter's.

I say "honor" because Jack Cirillo and Chair Julie Jackson graciously offered me these projects, and the playwrights have entrusted their work to me.

I told Dave Lavender I feel like its a big, artistic sandbox filled with all this amazing talent, and they've invited me to just come play. It's been fun, to say the least.

The writing is great, the casts are superb, and the collegial feeling of appreciation and team work at Marshall University's Department of Theatre are refreshing.

I've worked on new projects in the past including an ABC pilot and a few
musicals, but am really impressed with this Festival and what Jack and the rest have done to develop it.

It is yet another great thing I'm finding at MUT.
Thanks, Bruce!

The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Francis Booth Experimental Theatre of the Joan C. Edwards Playhouse. For tickets or information, call 304-696-ARTS (2787). Tickets are priced at $12 or a full festival pass (all three nights) for $20.

It will be followed by a discussion/question and answer session with the playwright, director and cast. Participation is both welcome and encouraged.

All I can add is: highly recommended!

2 comments:

BruBlog said...

Chuck- thanks so much for all the great press you gave MUT New Works. I appreciate all you do to help promote arts in the Tri-State. Thank you, thank you!! With gratitude, Bruce Rous

Chuck Minsker said...

Thanks, Bruce - all I can say is, "Aw, shucks!"