Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Tony Awards #8

An hour to go!

They zip through more creative Tonys - looks like Billy Elliot is cleaning up.

Frank Langella is here to present Best Lead Actress in a Play (he gives a funny plug to his most recent show, which he was not nominated for). The winner: Macia Gay Harden, God of Carnage. She gives a nice, funny speech.

Another Best Play clip - Reasons to be Pretty.

Sir Elton John comes out to loud applause - he intros a number from Billy Elliot. Hmm. Intense, but if the idea was to convince me to go see the show, I'm not sure it succeeded. But I'm sure those who know more about dance (which is just about everyone out there) probably loved it.

Commercial!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Billy Elliot thing. The tapping was neat to see but everything else had me a bit confused. I would like to have heard some singing.

-Maggie

Chuck Minsker said...

Maggie, I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me. I'm often surprised by the numbers they choose for the Tonys - I assume they're trying to include as many cast members as possible, when they should be doing the biggest and best number.