Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Tony Awards #5

Back again!

I forgot to mention that Will Ferrell said that Billy Elliot won for Best Book for a Musical.

Glad to see an ad during the break for "Broadway In Charleston" - some great shows coming to the Clay Center next season!

Edie Falco is here for the Best Special Theatrical Event. The winner: to no one's surprise, Liza Minelli. "This is exquisite." Someone hands her a list. She's telling a long story. Will they cut her off? She is theatre royalty, of course. Here comes the music. She thanks her parents, and finishes before they cut her off. Nice.

Now they show a clip from another nominated play, God of Carnage. Another video.

Now another musical number, this one from the revival of "Guys and Dolls." Ah, my favorite number - "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat." More mic trouble. Someone runs a new mic to the singer. The sound guy is getting roasted after this show. Great number!

Commercial!

2 comments:

Angela Henderson-Bentley said...

I think my favorite moment of the show was hearing someone say, "Do you have it? Are you going in with it?" before they ran in the microphone. Nice to see that stuff doesn't shake anybody...

Since I've seen Constantine and I see that NPH is playing an even smaller role than he said he would, I'm turning to "Confessions of a Drama Queen" on Disney Channel. I'll read you blog to see what I missed...

Chuck Minsker said...

Angela, you're going to be mad if you missed NPH's final number - it was a riot!