Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Your Favorite Shows

OK, readers, it's time to make your voice heard! The question of the week is: what stage shows (musical or non-musical) would you like to see presented locally?

Most community theatre groups choose their shows the same way: a small group of people, usually members of the board guiding the theatre group, get together and decide what shows the group will tackle in the coming year.

Here at your Tri-State Theatre blog, we think it's time you had a voice in this process. So tell us what show (or shows) you'd like to see on stage. We'll add up the votes and present the winners a week from today.

You can vote by leaving a comment - just click on the link at the bottom of this entry. You don't have to leave your real name or your email address - just tell us what shows you'd like to see and why. If you'd rather avoid the comments process, you can send an email to The Minskers@aol.com.

Of course, there are many shows that aren't available to community theatre groups - like Wicked and Phantom of the Opera, for example. Anything that's still running strong on Broadway probably won't be available for a few years.

But here's your chance to make your voice heard - who knows, the local theatre groups all read this blog - maybe they'll like your suggestion and add it to their upcoming season! Your vote might change local theatre!

So vote now!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one - there are so many great shows out there. I'd love to see a local group tackle a Gilbert & Sullivan musical, and there's my longtime favorite, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Anonymous said...

I'd really like to see the Drowsy Chapperone performed here, but understand it will be a while before the rights to that are released.

As far as one that is available now, I wish someone would put on Shenandoah or Man of La Mancha, or even bring back Guys and Dolls since it has been a while since that was seen in Huntington.

I know that Rocky Horror has been successfully performed around here for several years, but wouldn't the same audiences love someone putting on "Tommy"?

And when will someone put on yet another production of 1776, this time with Chuck Minsker as John Adams?

Chuck Minsker said...

Ray - I'm with you on Gilbert and Sullivan - I'd love to see someone tackle The Mikado, HMS Pinafore or (my fave) Pirates of Penzance. I'm also a big fan of "Joseph" (which is good, since I directed it a few years back).

Anonymous - All I've seen of the Drowsy Chaperone in the song they performed on the Tony Awards last year, and I loved it - but you're right, it'll probably be a few years before it's available. I agree with your other choices, with "Tommy" being an excellent suggestion. As to your last comment about me playing John Adams - don't hold your breath waiting for that one! I love "1776," but I only tackle the small roles. Adams has a few hundred pages of dialogue in that show - I doubt I could make it through the opening monologue!

Anonymous said...

I say "Songs in the Key of Springfield: The Simpsons Stage Musical" (which may be a challenge since it has not been written nor licensed for the stage).

This provides opportunity for a rich discussion of how our local talent would fill in the cast--for starters, I vote for C.E. Wilson in the role of Mr. Burns.

"Streetcar!"

Chuck Minsker said...

Anonymous - What a great idea! As a big fan of the Simpsons, I love the thought of combining the show's greatest musical numbers into a single show! I'm not sure about C.E. as Mr. Burns - he's just not evil enough (C.E., I mean).

Stephen Vance said...

I love the Drowsy Chaperone, I saw it this spring during Sutton Foster's final week. When the rights become available, I would be proud just to push a broom in that theatre.

Of the stuff that's available, I'd love to see/be apart of Guys and Dolls, White Christmas, Urinetown, and 1776.

And without a doubt, I would love the chance to be apart of Beauty and the Beast again.

I would've said Hello Dolly and Oklahoma as well, but that wish is already coming true.

Chuck Minsker said...

All good choices, Stephen. I keep hearing rumblings about White Christmas - surely someone will do that sometime soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see Guys and Dolls show up again soon - a terrific show! Beauty and the Beast is another great one, but a difficult one in terms of set and costume. Still, I suspect someone will tackle it again one of these years.

Len LaCara said...

A show that would be perfect for Huntington is the underappreciated musical version of "Little Women." It's based on the first national tour, which I saw in Columbus. There are a number of talented women in town who could handle the roles.

For the men, there's "The Producers." According to MTI, Mel Brooks is preparing a PG version of the show "for production by amateur groups who otherwise might be lynched by their communities if they produced the unexpurgated version!" Is "Springtime for Hitler" in your range, Chuck?

For children's theater, "A Year With Frog and Toad" is a sweet, small show.

And just for grins, who in town would you cast for "The Full Monty"?

Chuck Minsker said...

Len - Great suggestions! The music I've heard from the "Little Women" musical is terrific, and the story is (of course) excellent, too. "The Producers" is an awesome idea - but you're right, it would probably have to be cleaned up a tad for community theatre. "A Year With Frog and Toad" is a personal favorite, and it's on my list of shows I'd love to direct. As to "The Full Monty," I can think of some great casting possibilities - but I'm not sure how many of them would be ready for that final song! ;-)