Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Dialing for Derek

You can read a great recap of tonight's edition of "Grease: You're the One That I Want" by my pal Angela Henderson at the "Stay Tuned" blog (the link is over there on the right of this page), and let me just say that I completely agree with her analysis.

Derek Keeling (who, as you should know by now, is from Scott Depot, W.Va.) did a much better job on tonight's broadcast, but he still had one minor warble in his song (and it was a ballad - why don't they have these guys singing songs from Broadway shows?). Still he was easily the second-best singer (out of four), and the guy with the strongest vocal doesn't really "look" the part at all.

Still, it's up to the viewers to vote for their favorite. If I was casting this show - all local prejudice aside - I'd probably choose Derek. He has a strong voice, great stage presence and the right look (let's face it, everyone thinks of John Travolta when they think of Danny - and Derek bears a strong resemblance to the film star).

We'll see what America thinks next week. My guess is that it's going to come down to Austin and Derek for the role - but that's just a guess at this point.

3 comments:

Angela Henderson-Bentley said...

I don't know, Chuck. Max is starting to look like a real dark horse now...

Unknown said...

Hi Chuck, I so want Derek to be the best, but his voice problems are a real problem. That wasn't a minor crack last night, it was a crack on a money note. If it was just a one time mistake I'd ignore it, but it's the second time he had what I think is a big problem. He's going to have to do 8 shows a week. I don't think he's up to it. And yeah, Max doesn't look the part, but that young man has more raw talent then all the rest of them on stage combined. My money's on Max, but I doubt America will agree. See you. Denise

Chuck Minsker said...

I agree that Max had the strongest vocal last night, but then he got to sing a fun, rocking number. So did the other two contestants, but their vocals were pretty weak. But I agree that Derek has to clear up those vocal tics if he wants to win - and I think the secret is giving him a better song selection to choose from.