Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

“High School Musical” - The Review

Well, this is a review that does you no good - because the final showing of “High School Musical” this evening is sold out. Still, I managed to see the show last night with my lovely wife, and we enjoyed it. (Tip to theatre fans - buy those tickets early! I ordered mine last week and was seated halfway up in the balcony.)

As presented by the Backstage Players, “HSM” is based on the Disney TV movie, and it tells the story of basketball star Troy and his brainy girlfriend Gabriella. They’re both interested in trying out for the school play, but their friends try to keep them trapped in the “status quo.” It’s a fun, sweet story with lots of great music.

The actors did a great job, playing the familiar characters from the TV movie and throwing in a few new characters for the stage version. There are a couple of new songs, too.

Even the crowd was entertaining! Sitting right behind me were a couple of preschool girls who sang along with the actors on virtually every song - it was sweet, and kept me and my wife smiling throughout. (Ordinarily I don't encourage that kind of thing - but I'll make an exception in this case. It's the Dad in me.)

If I wanted to be picky, I’d point out some audio problems that made some lines hard to hear, and I’d note that the production was done with a minimal set - but those were minor problems.

Thanks to the energetic efforts of the cast and crew, they sent a sold-out audience home happy, singing that “We’re All In This Together” - as for a few hours last night, we were all brought together by “High School Musical.”

No comments: