Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

And the Winners Are...

My computer is finally cooperating again, so here are the results from our recent survey which asked the musical question: What shows would you like to see a community theatre group stage?

We had lots of great answers (as you're about to see, he said, drawing out the suspense just a moment longer). Here are the results (with an occasional comment by yours truly).

The show that got the most votes is: The Last 5 Years! I've heard lots of raves about that musical, and I'd love to see someone tackle it.

Tied for second place is: the musical Jekyll & Hyde and the non-musical 12 Angry Men.

Quite a few shows tied for third place, including: And Then There Were None, The Drowsy Chaperone, Into The Woods, Jesus Christ Superstar, Les Miserables (when available), Little Women, Mere Mortals, Phantom of the Opera (when available) and Pippin.

There were lots of other great shows suggested. They are:

A Few Good Men
Assassins
Boxcar Children
Chicago
Chorus Line
Company
Evita
Faust
The Full Monty
Great Expectations
Guys & Dolls
- I'd love to see this one again - one of my favorites.
Hairspray
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Holes
James and the Giant Peach
- No relation to Hedwig.
Man of La Mancha
Mary Poppins
- Now this would be a challenge, but it probably won't be available for a while.
Miss Saigon
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Once Upon A Mattress
Prince and the Pauper
Rebecca of Sunnybrooke Farm
Red Noses
The Secret Garden
Sherlock Holmes
Side Show
Singing in the Rain
- I love this movie! It would have to make a great stage show.
South Pacific
Sweeney Todd
The Wild Party
To Kill a Mockingbird - An excellent show and one of the all-time great books.
Tommy
What the Butler Saw
White Christmas
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
- As long as it's based on the original movie, I'm all for it.
The Wiz
Year with Frog and Toad
- I call dibs on this one!

And one voter said that he'd like to see “more dramas and comedies... in other words, non-musicals.”

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to vote. Now, feel free to discuss the results or suggest other shows we've overlooked. And don't be surprised if you see some of these shows popping up on stage in the near future!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! The votes are in! I'm so addicted that this was the first place I came when I turned on my computer!! My first graders having been reading Frog and Toad books but I never thought about that as a play!! Glad someone voted for that! Thanks for setting this up. What a great way to brainstorm for the theatre gang that produces all these shows in the Tri-State!

Sanctuary said...

Please let it be so.

I think this is great forum to demonstrate that our audiences are changing. I hope that those planning shows take notice. If the main consideration is choosing a show that will attract an audience and therefore make money, there you go.

I realize this is a small cross-section of the potential audience, but people who cared enough to vote are probably a good indicator of what audiences want.

I'll cross my fingers. Ashland is taking on "Sweeney Todd". That's a good sign.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, indeed. I'm impressed. I think a lot of that has been a CATALYST for what's going on in my mind. Impressive.

-M

Chuck Minsker said...

Trish, I'll be announcing some news in the next couple of days that will make you very happy. I hope.

Ryan, I agree completely. By the way, the latest Time magazine has an interesting article about high school drama along these same lines.

Mike, you're such a tease.

Anonymous said...

Yay "The Last 5 Years"! It is and probably for a long time will be my favorite musical. Jason Robert Brown is...amazing. I would definitely jump at the chance to play Jamie when I get a little older! It's one of my future dream roles!

Chuck Minsker said...

Josh, I first heard about this show from some of your fellow First Stage actors. I really must track the soundtrack down one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Josh... TL5Y is one of my favorites as well, and Catherine is a dream role. I was extremely excited to see Jekyll & Hyde which is also a huge favorite... I would kill to do that musical. I don't know how many times I've said "Gosh, I really wish we could do Jekyll & Hyde around here!" *crosses fingers* Lucy is a dream role as well. But alas, if First Stage were to pick it up I'd be too old! :( But anyway, hopefully during these next 4 years at Marshall one of those shows will be done! :D

Chuck Minsker said...

Brittany, I have to admit that I haven't seen "Jekyll & Hyde" yet, but judging by the number of fans who love it, I need to track it down.